cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ReadyNAS loses IP address of Backup Exec Host after backup runs

KenRB
Level 2

I am using Backup Exec Small Business Server Suite Ver 13 Rev 2896  running on a Windows Small Business Server 2008 to backup a ReadyNAS NVX with RALUS agent to an HP Storage Works Ultruim 1760SAS tape drive.

The whole system has been running perfectly for a couple years until I restored a file from tape and redirected it to the server hard drive rather than over-write the original file on the ReadyNAS box. After that, the first daily backup failed to backup the ReadyNAS with error E000FF11 "A comms failure has occured with a Linux or Unix resource". All subsequent daily backups failed to backup the ReadyNAS with error E0000F04 "Media server could not connect to remote computer".

Looking at the properties of the backup job and testing the credentials shows "Access denied" against the logon credentials for the ReadyNAS.  I then looked at the ReadyNAS Frontview page - Add-ons, Installed. This shows a box where the RALUS agent is installed (see below).

The normally green button on the top right was greyed out. In Backup Exec Host box I typed the IP address of the server running Backup Exec and clicked Save. The button became green again. Going back to Backup EXEC and testing the job credentails again shows "Successful" now and the backup runs OK but every day after the backup runs the button is grey again and the credentials have "Access denied" and I have to enter and save the IP address again to get the next backup to run.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to get rid of it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KenRB
Level 2

The problem seem to have been solved by an update to the ReadyNas firmware to RAIDiator-x86 4.2.21. The IP address for the server running Backup Exec is now "remembered" after each backup and the button stays green. No need to enter IP address again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check the networking tab on that device and on the backup server and make sure you can run the normal diagnostics (ping/tracert etc) via name and IP address. Your Windows server will have a hosts file that you can edit and put in the details of that NAS too.

Last thing...you're running the first version of BE 2010...might be a good idea to look at upgrading to BE 2010 R3 with SP2 and any additional patches.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also check the TNs below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48490

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH167456

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH170934

KenRB
Level 2

The problem seem to have been solved by an update to the ReadyNas firmware to RAIDiator-x86 4.2.21. The IP address for the server running Backup Exec is now "remembered" after each backup and the button stays green. No need to enter IP address again.