cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery to Exchange 2007

Somebody_Else
Level 3

I would like to restore an individual message from my backup of Exchange 2007 (ver. 08.03.0327.001) using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3, to work out how it's done before it's important.

Looking at the options, since I have GRT enabled, I should be able to recover an individual message directly into the live mail server.  However the mention of restoring transaction logs and mounting the database after the restore make me nervous.

I have been unable to find a detailed description of how it's supposed to work and whether it's going to interfere with my transaction logs or dismount the database.  Is there an explanation somewhere?

Trying to use the Recovery Storage Group method fails.  I get no errors, the job reports success but it doesn't recover anything.

I'm hoping that with Symantec having gone to the trouble of creating GRT there are instructions for using it somewhere and I just haven't been able to find them.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The options restoring transaction logs and mount database are for a scenario when you want to recover the entire database. In case of GRT restore you need not to worry about that option. Just make the selection and run the restore. It will restore to the user's mailbox without affecting your production database.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

If you are not confident about it, try to redirect that mailbox to a test mailbox (created and activated) on the Exchange server. The restore of transaction logs and mount process only applies to recovering the entire mailbox database.

When you restored to the Recovery Storage group, did you restore the whole mailbox database or just the mailbox or email items. You need to restore entire mailbox database to RSG and mount the database in the RSG. You need to use Exchange command line after that to restore emails from RSG to the Live mailbox or .pst

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

During the restore process, you should be able to browse to the mailboxes and select the individual mailbox items you would like to restore. Just select these items an run the restore.
Make sure to have enough temp free space available as Backup Exec must restore the complete EDB to a temp location. After that it extracts the data from it and imports it into the active Exchange database.

8 REPLIES 8

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

The options restoring transaction logs and mount database are for a scenario when you want to recover the entire database. In case of GRT restore you need not to worry about that option. Just make the selection and run the restore. It will restore to the user's mailbox without affecting your production database.

Thanks

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

If you are not confident about it, try to redirect that mailbox to a test mailbox (created and activated) on the Exchange server. The restore of transaction logs and mount process only applies to recovering the entire mailbox database.

When you restored to the Recovery Storage group, did you restore the whole mailbox database or just the mailbox or email items. You need to restore entire mailbox database to RSG and mount the database in the RSG. You need to use Exchange command line after that to restore emails from RSG to the Live mailbox or .pst

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

During the restore process, you should be able to browse to the mailboxes and select the individual mailbox items you would like to restore. Just select these items an run the restore.
Make sure to have enough temp free space available as Backup Exec must restore the complete EDB to a temp location. After that it extracts the data from it and imports it into the active Exchange database.

Somebody_Else
Level 3

Most helpful - I see now why the RSG option didn't work, none of the notes I read mentioned Jaydeep's point.  As for the restore direct to the mail server, it seems the process is how I suspected it was until I made myself doubtful.  The job's running now so I'll see in a few hours...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your resonse, and keep us updated about your progress.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

I think you tried restoring a individual mailbox to a Recovery storage Group rather than the entire database. You can not restore a single mailbox to recovery storage group.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...this has all been covered a while back on this topic!

Somebody_Else
Level 3

Works perfectly.  Thanks for your help folks.