cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redoing Backup Exec 2012 with Deduplication to Disk

Smileyville
Level 4

We are running Backup Exec 2012 on a Windows 2003 R2 64-Bit machine.  The jobs are set to a 2 week cycle to connect via an IScsi port to a Quantum NDX8 device.  This was working properly however; recently, starting running out of space and therefore the jobs won't run.  The secondary copy of the full backup set  which runs as an option on the backup job to an externally attached RDX drive is working properly. 

The initial errors that we were seeing were in the jobs themselves, we were coming up with errors indicating the media could not be overwritten.

In looking at the issue, the old backup sets are not purging properly.  Followed Symantec Article #TECH192557, http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH192557.  However; ran into the following issue described in Article #TECH206214, http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH206214

So, thinking the best thing to do, move the data to another storage space not tied to the backups and not backed up and start over.  So, reading the articles, the retention period should really be full backups once a week that are kept for once a week so they are overwritten.  The daily backups should be incrementals, again retention set to 1 week so they overwrite accordingly the following week.  Then the exteranl RDX tapes can handle the copy of the full data and I can rotate those for 4 weeks.

Thoughts?  What other settings or options can I select to ensure that this deduplication on disk storage work properly so we don't keep arriving at this out of space, error filled state and have reliable backups?

Any input is appreciated.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  When you do the next full backup, this backup chain will not be needed and would be deleted in the next grooming cycle.  However, since your disk may be offline during the grooming, the backup sets might not get deleted.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To aid your planning, take a look at my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm

Smileyville
Level 4

Thanks for your comments.  I've looked through so it looks like I need to set the expiration to 24 hours.  I'll give it a shot and hopefully this product will work better as I'm a bit disapointed right now in terms of maintenance and trimming of jobs/data.  Thanks.

Smileyville
Level 4

So basically, just to confirm, I should set the full's to expire within 1 day and then it should be overwritten and recycled weekly.  Thanks, just want to make sure this works.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  When you do the next full backup, this backup chain will not be needed and would be deleted in the next grooming cycle.  However, since your disk may be offline during the grooming, the backup sets might not get deleted.

Smileyville
Level 4

Thank you for the clarification.