cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redundancy for Backup Exec 15 CASO environment

kf2013
   VIP   

I would like to know if it is possible to setup a redundancy for for Backup Exec 15 CASO which mean two CASO servers are installed on two different sites for DR purpose. Because when the primary which CASO is installed is down, I can't perform any restore on DR site where has a MMS is installed in DR site. If I have a CASO in DR site, then I can perform restore.

I found that If MMS cannot communicate with the CASO server, backup and restore cannot be performed.

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You could look at clustering the backup, but over long distance that might not be possible at all. Best bet would be to have backups of the Data/Catalogs folders of the CASO server, and then if needed, copy them to the standby server and bring it up like that.

If the CASO is down and you centralise your catalogs, the MMS servers won't run. You need to manually remove them from the CASO in order to get backups running again.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

make sure that the catalogs are confgured to be kept on the MBE servers (that ran the orginal jobs) and on the CAS.

And then make sure you understand the process to make an MBE stand alone and use this process to get your MBEs up and running (at which point if you have urgent restores you should be able to run them) Then make the stand alone BE servers back into member servers of the other CAS - you might lose some job configuration (if the usual CAS sends jobs to the MBE servers) but this should minimize how long you don't have centralized control.

In theory you can cluster the CAS, however we don't recommend doing this as the only documented method to cluster a BE installation still makes use of the SQL express instance and you may have to disolve a cluster to apply patches and updates which could mean a lot of work in a CAS setup. Also most CAS servers are busy enough to need a full SQL server (and we have no documentation on configuring a clustered SQL installation for use with clustered CAS servers or the potential patch and upgrade issues you may have with such a config) Note: we do not officially test this type of installation so any support would be very limited

kf2013
   VIP   

Two servers are not in the same area, so its not possible to use clustering. The size of catalog folder is over 20GB, seem it's difficult to copy over WAN link.