cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding problem with the Tape backup using VERITAS Backup Exec version 9.

Prasad_M
Level 2
Hi,

This is regarding problem with the Tape drive backup using VERITAS Backup Exec version 9.1 Rev. 4691

We are using following tape drive & Medias:
Sony AIT-3 Tape Library
Driver Date: 3/4/2005
Driver Version: 2.0.0.1
Cartridge AIT3: SDX3-100C (Capacity: 100GB Native & 260GB Compressed)

When we are trying to backup the data from UNC path (\\server\d\folder\) directly to the tape drive using Backup Exec we are getting following error, if we backup the same data to local server & then backup the single file (xxxx.bkf) to tape drive its working fine.

And also we are getting low compression ratio (i.e. 0.901:1, 0.852:1 & etc) for text files, using SONY Cartridges.

First we thought some problem with the tapes & replaced the tapes with new but still same issues.

Can you please help us to fix these issues?

Veritas Error Messages
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Job Completion Status
Job ended: Friday, September 02, 2005 at 9:00:36 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Final error category: Other Errors

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup - \server\d: Data Volume

Storage device "Drive" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You & Regards
Prasad M
6 REPLIES 6

David_Schweiger
Level 2
I am using the same library you are but with AIT2 tapes. I get the same message from time to time. After receiving the error, I usually clean the drive and then retry the backup job. Normally, it will work on the same tape that gave me the error.

Prasad_M
Level 2
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Even after getting the error, I too able to use the same tape, but main concern is we are unable to write the backup directly to the tape from UNC path, retrying the job also does not helped me, its continuously failing.

How did you clean the drive?

Thanks

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

As a preliminary step, please install the latest device drivers of Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 from the following link :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

Please write to us about the status of the issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Prasad_M
Level 2
I tried to install the drivers (BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall_273853.exe ) but failed with the follwing error.

---------------------------------------------------
Install Wizard Error

The wizard was interrupted before VERITAS Windows NT and Windows 2000 Device Drivers could be completely installed

Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again
---------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
Prasad

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Regarding the issue with cyclic redunduncy, refer to the following technote:

Title: "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" is reported in the Backup Exec job log during a failed backup/verify operation
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192216

What are you backing up using the UNC path? Is the tape localy attached? Is it a remote backup?

Regarding the error on installing the drivers, check for errors in the event logs in Windows.

Do update on this case.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Prasad_M
Level 2
We are doing text files backups

Yes, Tape Locally attached to the backup server & data is backed up from remote computer using UNC path

Updated all latest drivers, still same issue

Thank You