cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry Restore on a second system

dsb-gmbh
Level 3

Hi @all,

I had a crash on a SBS2003 server. The system in the registry is damaged and the server don't start anymore. Now I'd like to extract the registry from a tape backup on a second server and copy it to the "damaged" harddisk. Could somebody give me a hint how to extract it? I only could choose a full restore of the systemstate and don't know if it's possible to redirect ist to this disk.

Thanks a lot
Daniel

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

The registry information is saved in the system state. You cannot restore a single 

item from the state state (apart from AD). You may redirect the restore to a folder

but not sure if you can extract the registry information from the folder.

dsb-gmbh
Level 3

I know, but are you sure that you can redirect the system state to another folder? I don't want to crash this server too ...

AmolB

How a redirect restore of system state to a folder will crash your server.

You are not restoring it to the original location. Right now I don't have access

to my test server otherwise I would have posted the results here. 

dsb-gmbh
Level 3

Well I don't now if the SystemState is only a file backup, or a backup like Exchange or SQL. You also get a warning, if you select the SystemState for restoring ...

I'll try it when the catalogs are ready.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

You may want to redirect files from system state backup. Once done, you will get a folder named "registry". Files inside this folder are known as registry hives. You can load them into a registry editor and extract any specific registry section you are looking for.

Thanks

dsb-gmbh
Level 3

IMHO there is no possibilty to redirect the SystemState, so the second server was also destroyed. I've done a basic installation of SBS2003 and restored everything including the SystemState. You have to choose the "Restore Mode?" at the SBS start, by pressing F8.

dsb-gmbh
Level 3

Your reply was to late, but my test wasn't successful, so I've done a full restore over a basic installation and don't could try it anymore ...

The server has to run tomorrow ...