cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent unexpectedly quits / crashes while backing up SQL 2005 & files

Braden_McGrath
Level 3
I have a Win2k3 SP1 server running SQL 2005 SP1. I have installed the remote agent, without AOFO. We have the SQL agent license. The job that we run does have the "use AOFO" setting turned on as we have a different machine that uses it.

While backing up the machine, the agent on the SQL server unexpectedly quits. I have turned on debug logging on the agent and it doesn't even show an error on the debug log. It seems to quit while it is in the process of sending the temporary SQL dumps to the backup server. The dumps themselves are all created OK.

I have removed and reinstalled the remote agent several times, this has not helped. I am able to successfully complete a smaller test backup (with its own selection list that doesn't have all the DBs) without the agent crashing.

This is NOT exclusive to 11d. It started happening a week or two ago on 10d, and then we got the upgrade notice for 11d so I figured I should upgrade to see if it would resolve the issue first. We're running 11d now though, so I'm posting here.
5 REPLIES 5

Braden_McGrath
Level 3
Anyone? Any ideas at all? I'm not sure what to try now...

Braden_McGrath
Level 3
OK, some more testing and I think I've nailed the issue down to whether or not I enable AOFO. I've created a new job and new selection list. When I run the new job with AOFO enabled, the remote agent crashes nearly instantly and the job fails. If I disable AOFO, it runs to completion.

What am I supposed to do if I want to backup some AOFO-enabled servers and others that aren't in the same job?

Or am I supposed to be using two separate jobs, and if so, how do I insure they don't try to run simultaneously?

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Check out the best practices for SQL guide which is available on the support page

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/285779.htm

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Branden,

It is not recommended to use AOFO for any Database Backups. It isent specific to the SQL, but also applies to Exchnage, Lotus etc.

We normally recommend to create two job in such a scenario. You can set the start time of the second job approximately after the first job completes. For eg, is the first job starts at 21:00 and run for about 4 hours, set the start time of the second job to 02:00 giving some time as a buffer for the first job to compete.

Hope that helps.

thanks
Regards