cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agent on W2K8 R2 fails

M__Hylarides
Level 3
First post, so please forgive me if I'm not being complete...

Here's the issue:
We are trying to get a remote agent working on a Windows 2008 R2 Server. Now, a push install fails with well known the "RPC service not running" error, so we installed the agent manually.
However, we are not able to get it right:
- When accessing the 'publishing' tab of the agent an error is displayed: "Unable to obtain settings for remote agent publishing from the registry". After clicking the error, we see that there's no info on the tab. After manually entering the media server's name, we get the same error again. The field Published names for this agent is blank as well.
- In the system tray there's an error displayed that beremote.exe is not running. A manual start of the BE service gives an error: "The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service on servername started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs".

So far, we've done the following:
- Reinstalled the agent several times
- Installed every hotfix available
- Altered the \HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertise Now value from 1 to 0
- Added a key  \HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertised Name Ok list with the value: servername.domainname.local
- Added a key  \HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Agent Discovery List with the value: media server
-
Changed registry permissions for the   \HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\ tree

As we are replacing quite a few machines to W2K8 R2, we really want this to work. Our setup consists of Backup Exec 12.5 SP3, all hotfixes installed. The unwilling server is a W2K8 R2 x64 machine.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!
4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

If you have any antivirus software running, please exclude it from scanning the Symantec folder & try a repair installation of the RAWS.

M__Hylarides
Level 3
On the specified server, we turned down Forefront prior to install.
The application seems to install fine, and even the system tray icon is displayed. But somehow it looks like the agent is not able to digest vital information from the registry to get itself running. On regular W2K8 (not the R2) servers the agent runs like clockwork, regardless of the version (x32 or x64). But for one reason or another it just won't go on our (only) R2 machine.
I'll give your instructions a try though next monday, keep you posted!

Edit 20100104: Doesn't work with Antivirus disabled.

vtek63
Level 3
i've been having problems with this too. the only solution i have found so far is to install the agent manuall on each 2008 R2 system... but then... mine won't update... i can't patch it remotely or locally.

M__Hylarides
Level 3
That's part of what's happening at our site too, though once installed, the media server sees something is installed, but can't connect to it. Idea's anyone?