cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated failure of job to cartridge saying media not inventoried

Onieda
Level 3

I am having problems with a regular "One Off" backup I do of one of our servers to data cartridge.

Each time the job fails with the following message: "Final error: 0xe0000602 - A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors".

The cartridge has been inventoried, and used to be fine. It doesn't seem to matter which cartridge I use, I still get the error when backing up this server, which makes me wonder if it is not actually the media at all.

Can anyone give me any advice on what might be going wrong? I am running BackupExec 2014 on Windows Server 2008.

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you say you inventoried the cartridge, did you run the Catalog job as well?

Thanks!

Onieda
Level 3

I have done in the past, but I haven't done recently. I will run a catalog on that cartridge and let you know what happens in the morning.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

To me, that error generally indicates a BE database or BE catalog failure, more than a hardware issue.  It might be the backup job creating bad catalogs, have you tried re-creating the backup job that backs up this troublesome server?

Onieda
Level 3

I inventoried and catalogued the cartridge before trying it again yesterday, and got the same error message:

Job ended: 26 February 2015 at 20:27:41
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000602 - A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-1538

This is a "one time backup" which I do manually once a week, so it is recreated from scratch each time it is run.

I only get the problem on this one server, when I back up the others I don't get the error. I do get the error if I try to back up this server to a different cartridge.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

This is a "one time backup" which I do manually once a week, so it is recreated from scratch each time it is run.

Might you be able to create this as a regular, recurring (once a week job)?  I have heard of some weird issues with "one time backups", but this doesn't sound familiar.  And it could just be a coincidence... do you have any other "one time backups" that work properly?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why do you need to catalog the cartridge every week?  An inventory would be sufficient to notify BE that the cartridge is online.

Onieda
Level 3

I have only catalogued the cartridge once, as a result of the suggestion made here that it might be the cause of the problem.

I don't have this difficulty on any other server, just this one.

I could try setting up a timed job, but the backups to cartridge are rather "on the fly" and they aren't the same day of the week for each server, so it wouldn't be a very good solution. It might show whether or not the problem is due to the One Off style of backup though, so it would be useful to try from a troubleshooting point of view.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This is a very weird way to backup servers. How can you know your restore times if the backups are so random?

None the less, it should still work and how you backup is your choice.

But can you try with a scheduled job anyway, just for toubleshooting purposes?