cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting how much data was backed up in a job

KeithCleverley
Level 2
Partner

Hi we are monitoring our customers servers, backup jobs on success or failure but it would be nice to get a backed up ??Gb of data with the success reports so we can check that against our expected amount. I can see this can be seen in a job list notification but it is not that easy to read and is shown for each disk backed up whereas we are looking for a summary of total data backed up in the job

Any ideas on this or general job monitoring would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Keith

6 REPLIES 6

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

The job monitor tab has a column labeled "byte count" that shows the total for the job.  Is that not what you are looking for?

KeithCleverley
Level 2
Partner

Sorry Larry, should have said we monitor our customer backups using email alerts and this info doesnt seem to present itself in the 'job sucess' alert, unless you can confirm otherwise.

Thanks for your response.

Keith

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

By using Configure Alert Category Properties, Change Job Success alert properties.

Select Check box Include job log with a notification to an email or printer recipient.

In the job log you can see the amount of data backed up under Backup Set Summary.

If this resolves your issue Mark it as Solution.

KeithCleverley
Level 2
Partner

Hi all, thanks for your replies, I am already aware of the 'backup set summary' in the job log, but when some jobs have 5 or 6 components it becomes time consuming and fiddly to check 5 summary's on each backup job.

Ideally what i need is a ‘Job Summary Information’ report the same as you get when you look at the job history tab of a completed job.

We are not looking to intensely monitor our customer backups (we do not offer this as a solution), we are looking to minimise potential issues with engineers mis-configuring jobs or changes in backup sizes (we will check jobs against a known alert level either manually or get our system to do it automatically, if possible)

i.e

Job Summary Information
Byte count          : 283,655,820,556 bytes
Job rate            : 1,522.51 MB/Min(Byte count of all backup sets divided by Elapsed time for all backup sets)

Files               : 416,014
Directories         : 52,097

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This has been requested multiple times since v6.11  You can add this at the "Ideas" area (Formus\Ideas on the main Forum Screen)

I think the canned Media Set Report has the info you  want, but it's been a while since I looked and that may have been several releases ago.

KeithCleverley
Level 2
Partner

Thanks for the reply, 'canned' media set reports are not something I have looked at before so I'll have a dig around, also I had added it to ideas....

Thanks again

Keith

IMEX Technical Services
www.imextechnical.co.uk