cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resoter Hper-V server

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

we have Hyper-v angent installed on our Huper-v server and we did create some beckups, now I want to test one of them, the virtual server that I want to restore has one snapshot and virtual server itself has drive C and Drive D, now we want to resote this server to the same Hyper-V server but we want to leave the working virtual server as it is, and restore the backup of this server on the same hyper-v server, we also dont want to resoter the D drive just resotre the C drive, now when I open the backup set I can see 2 vhd files and one avhad (tha is 70 GB), I did resote all of the files and C drive vhd and the avhd file.

question is,

what is the avhd file? and can I just go ahead and create an new virtual server and use this vhd and avhd to retore the virtual server? or there is oher wa to resrore a virtual server that has snapshot?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi Carig,

I want to let you know that problem has been solved I found this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67694

now when restore the VM, it is exaclty as the time that the backup was created.

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

A *.vhd drive is a virtual hard drive...this is where your Hyper-V VM information is stored.

You might be able to restore the VM and keep it off. Remove the NIC from within Hyper-V and then try starting it up.

Check the TN below for further information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH139692

THanks!

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi Craige,

Thanks as always for you replay,

I did resotre all of files except the D drive to a differnt location then create a new virtual server without NIC and when it asked for drive I did point it to the location that I did resore the vhad and he avhd, but there I can juse select the vhd file and not the avhd.

should I goahead and choose the vhd file? what is the rule of the avhad hat is almost 70 gb? this file newer then the vhd file.

Thanks

I did add the vhd file, and as I was thought it is old, I mean I cannot see the new files there, the avhd file is modifed at 16-08-2012 (date that backup was creates) and the vhd file is modified at  20-2-2012 and I could just open this one but when I open e.i. the event viewer I can see the events of today and the rest are from  20-2-2012 and older.

CraigV

Shahin123
Level 6

Sorry, but I dont se anything regarding to m question, I can see any upopting to merg the snapshot.

is there any artical regarding how to restore Hyper-V servers that have snapshots?

Thanks

CraigV

...not sure why you want to restore the snapshot...

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi Craig,

I dont want to resoter the snapshot,

But this is the story,

I have a backup from a virtual Hyper-v server that has one snapshot, now I want to resotre this backup becuse I want to resotre some files on the C drive, I did restore only the C drive of the virtual server that called oracle, when I go to the tape to do restore I can see that oracle.vhd is from 22-2-2012, anyway I did restore it an then create a new virtual server and use the oracle.vhd as its C drive and I can open it and login to it no problem, but when I try to restore the file that I need I can see they are old and when I open the event viewer I can see only events untill 22-2-2012 so this means this the old version of the C drive.

but the avhd file is from 16-8-212 but the question is how can I open it?

Thanks

CraigV

Shahin: This is a question to ask on the Microsoft forum. If you need to open a Hyper-V snapshot file, then I would suggest asking the question there.

Shahin123
Level 6

Thanks craig,

what about if we want to restore the virtual server in its oraginal location with all of its snapshots? would this resotre the vhd or the snapshot? what is the symantic suggestion regarding the restoring the virtual servers with snapshot? becuse as you know if you have an snapshot that means the server running the snapshot.

Thanks

CraigV

Not sure to be honest. I don't think you should be restoring snapshots in the first place.

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi Carig,

I want to let you know that problem has been solved I found this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67694

now when restore the VM, it is exaclty as the time that the backup was created.

Thanks