cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Active Directory continual reboot

Kevin_Molitor
Level 2
I am attempting to restore Active directory to similar hardware using backup exec 10D. I'm using http://support.veritas.com/docs/236286 as a guide line. I install windows 2003 standard with the same name as the "down" DC and leave the server in a workgroup. I then log onto the BE server and push the remote agent down to the would be DC. I input the local credentials of the would be DC in Backup exec ...(these are not the DSRM credentials) I inventory\catalog the tapes and then restore only the system state, I continue to follow instructions per the above article including the "Mark this server as the primary arbitrator for replication when restoring folders managed by the File Replication Service, or when restoring SYSVOL in System State" option. Then the BE job completes and tell me i need to reboot the target server. I reboot the server and it boots into the splash screen and then gets stuck in a continual reboot.

Any help in resolving this issue would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I think the first problem is that you are restoring only the system state. You need to restore the contents of the hard drives as well as the system state.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

While restoring system state did u go in the active directory restore mode ?

Were there any authentication errors while restoring?

Thanks

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
It won't be in Active Directory Restore Mode at this point because it's not a domain controller.

Kevin_Molitor
Level 2
Articles I've read do not specify that a complete backup of the C:\ drive is necessary. I've spoken to Symantec Support and they have specified that an entire backup of the System Drive (C:\) is required in addition to the system state.
They have also specified that there is no need to go into the DSRM, they say that after the restore, simply reboot and it should work. I will test this today, and respond with the results.
Thank you again for the assistance.

Kevin_Molitor
Level 2
Well I am sad to admit I have a resolution to the Continual rebooting problem. It actually was only mismatched patch levels on the source and destination. The Source was at 2K3 SPI and the Target was not. So this resolved the continual reboot problem. Unfortunately now I can log on but Active Directory is inoperable most likely because DNS is also inoperable. This may be cause for a new thread, since technically it's a different issue. Anyone know why DNS would not restore? I had a successful restore of C:\ Drive, System State, Service State, and the Utility partition.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
When support say there's no need to go into DSRM, I have found that you do need to go in to DSRM if this is the only domain controller, or if you are testing on a network that has no domain controllers attached. After the restore of Windows, go into DSRM, and perform the eprocedures for an authoritative restore of AD data.
It worked for me!

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
as Hywel says, it helps to go in DSRM even if the server is only a member server in a Domain.

Let us know if that helps

Thanks
Regards