cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange 2010 PF items - fails constantly - strange errors

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hello,

i need to restore some Exchange 2010 PF items.
Backup works fine for backups of Pulic Folder Store ...
But restore failes with strange errors ...

I did a test backup of a small PF Folder, everything is fine (servername is mexiko).

Now i deleted this PF within outlook and tried to restore the PF.

I received strange errors, complaining about

V-79-57344-65069 - One or more items could not be read correctly during the backup. This may be due to corruption of the file system, controller, or disk, or if a portion of a file is locked. Review the Windows Event Logs, run the appropriate Windows diagnostic tool, and then try running the backup again.

V-79-57344-765 - Cannot set one or more properties for Backup Exec Alert: Job Success (Server: "JEMEN") (Job: "176.28.53.241 Datenbanken-Incremental - Datenbanken Log") .

I have a Windows 2012 R2 server with BE 2014 and latest hotfixes installed.
I have installed Exchange 2010 SP3 with CU6.

Exchange Serer runs as a VM Guest on Hyper-V.

any idea

This is displayed during the job ...

Thanks

Jürgen

17 REPLIES 17

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have the Exchange 2010 management tools installed on the Backup Exec media server ?

JuergenB
   VIP   

Yes,

Exchange 2010 tools with same service pack and cumulative update 6.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

check:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH217478/be_2014_scl.html#agent_for_...

The above SCL says this:

“To run Exchange 2010, the Backup Exec server must run on Windows 2008 SP2 or on a 64-bit Windows 2008 R2 computer on which the Exchange 2010 Management tools are installed.”

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...in the OP's case BE is running on Windows Server 2012 R2 so it shouldn't matter. The requirements would've been met.

Thanks!

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi Craig,

i have the Exchange 2010 SP3 CU6 Tools installed on Windows 2012 R2.

Might this be a problem for the restore?

CraigV

No it shouldn't be as long as Microsoft say that part is supported...

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Was the backup made using the Exchange agent or the Hyper-V agent ?

If the former, was AOFO enabled in the backup job ? If yes, rerun a new backup without AOFO and then retest the restore. Do test restore of other items as well such as emails or mailboxes.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For Microsoft it may be supported, but if you check the SCL Exchange 2010 Backup/Restore is ONLY supported if the Backup Exec media server is running on 2008(R2).

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Guys, please READ the comments in the SCL:

* Windows 2012 R2 Active Directory (AD) Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) is supported only with Backup Exec Servers on Windows 2012 R2 operating systems.
Please see the following TechNote for further details
< http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201411. >

* To back up Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, you must install Backup Exec on a Microsoft Windows 2008 SP2 64-bit server or on a Microsoft Windows 2008 R2
64-bit server. You must also install the Exchange Management Tools for Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 on the Backup Exec server.

CraigV

...so that would mean no development on Symantec's part in moving ahead with support...?

Might be that the SCL needs to be updated...

Thanks!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It IS listed in the SCL !

Check the numbers behind Exchange (number 3 is about Exchange 2010):

3) To back up Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, you must install Backup Exec on a Microsoft Windows 2008 SP2 64-bit server or on a Microsoft Windows 2008 R2
64-bit server. You must also install the Exchange Management Tools for Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 on the Backup Exec server.

VJware
Level 6

This info has been updated in the Admin guide but it looks like the SCL requires an update.

Here is another KB article and in this case, the customer's environ is valid enough.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99178

JuergenB
   VIP   

The Exchange 2010 is a VM on a Hyper-V Host.

Backup was done using Exchange Agent (No Hyper-V Agent).
I did a test backup/restore with AOFO disabled and i get the same results.

Final error: 0xe000fe2d - One or more items could not be read correctly during the backup. This may be due to corruption of the file system, controller, or disk, or if a portion of a file is locked. Review the Windows Event Logs, run the appropriate Windows diagnostic tool, and then try running the backup again.

V-79-57344-765 - Cannot set one or more properties for ....

Colin_Weaver

Just to confirm - I asked internally about this difference in SCL text vs HOWTO/Admin guide text and it is conformed that HOWTO99178 does contain the correct details and Exchange 2010 can be backed up by media servers running 2012/2012 R2

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi,

restore is working now !

The documentation from symantec is faulty ... angry

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO99646

The information for setup a logon acocunt seems to be incorrect ...

It´s no problem to restore Exchange 2010 SP3 CU6 Data from a BE 2014 Server running on a Windows 2012 R2 machine ...

CraigV

...I see this has been sorted out and it seems like the SCL is indeed incorrect which is what I suspected.

But...go back and read my comments carefully. At no stage did I say it wasn't listed in the SCL. My question was rhetorical, and I didn't expect that you'd have an answer, but to put it in plain English I was saying that while MS supports running Exchange 2013 on Windows Server 2012 R2, Symantec hadn't either updated the software to allow BE to run on Windows Server 2012 R2 and backup Exchange, or the SCL was outdated.

Looks like I was right on the last part so banging away at what the SCL says wasn't helping. Would've been better to wait and see what Symantec stated, and both VJware and Colin confirmed my suspicions, which I guess will now bring up a change.

Thanks!

CraigV

Thanks for confirming this Colin and VJware...