cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore From Tape From a Decommissionned Server

AntzB
Level 2

Hello,

I'm in a little jam. Our network admin quit and I need to perform a restore from 2 LTO4 tapes that has some user data saved. I generally perform all the restores as its pretty straight forward but this is different.

Let's call it SERVER A, it contained user folders where users saved whatever work related documents they wanted. Server was being decommissioned so a one-time backup of the folders was done to tape and the server taken offline (it was an older server and we had also moved to a new domain). All users were given ample time to transfer their info to the new server (a new server on a new domain with a new name) before it was decommissioned.

Two weeks later, I have a few users complaining they don't have their data or are missing data. When I went to do the restore, I realized the server no longer exists in Backup Exec 2012 and since Backup Exec is server centric, I am not sure how to perform a restore any other method.

I'm no network admin, just the support tech filling in the shoes until a replacement is found. Is there a way to get a restore of LTO4 tapes even though the original server is gone? There are just 3 or 4 folders I need from those tapes.

I've been going through previous cases on the forums but can't seem to find my exact issue with a solution. Any help or suggestions is/are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Anthony

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

AntzB
Level 2

Here is the problem I have with your instructions. If I click on Configure Storge button then click on TAPE storage (because I am using tapes right?), I don't see the option imported the legacy B2D. If I click on DISK backup I see the option "Imported the legacy B2D" but then it asks me for a path? The path are the tapes. How do i point to the tapes?

This seems to work for disk restore but I dont see it working for tape restore? Can you please elaborate on your instructions.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

For restore from tapes, right-click the necessary tapes and choose the option to "Catalog". If the catalog is successfully made, the defunct server should appear in the list.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Obviously you did not read my comment below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server#comment-7688811

All you need to do with tape is to put the tape into the tape drive/library, do an inventory and then a catalog.  The defunct server will appear and you can do your restore.

AntzB
Level 2

I've run Inventories and catalogues several times yesterday, all of which completed successfully. But the server has not appeared. I think I will open a service call. I need to speak with someone who can guide me over the phone. Thanks.