cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Full backup to another server

kajtek
Level 4

Hi everyone. Is there any option in symantec backup exec 12.5 to restore full backup server with system state to another server ?

After installation microsoft bulletins security, one of our applications won`t start and report problem with reservation memory, so i restore full server from backup and everything is ok. But now I wont to restore server to virtual machine and check the problem. I`ll checked recovery option in Symantec but i don`t find anything about restore server to other location. Thanks in advance for help.

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When performing the system state restore , the hardware needs to be identical.

kajtek
Level 4

I don`t think so because i restore two months ago backup with the system state to virtual machine from symantec backup exec 12.5 and evertyhing was ok - change production server physical server to virtual machine (because vmware converter can`t do this). First step was installation operating system Windows Server 2003, then install agent BE, third restore data.

But can I restore from tapes system to another machine, doesn`t matter that machine is virtual or physical.

I think that BE 12.5 can`t do this, probably Backup Exec System Recovery can.

NeilA
Not applicable
Employee Accredited

Hi

My Name is Neil from Symantec

I would recommend you look at using either Symantec System Recovery 2011 or look at Upgrading to BE 2012 which has built in the option of backing up and converting to a Virtual machine.

on the Symantec System Recovery 2011 you can take a backup of the required server and use the conversion process withing SSR 2011 to convert the backup of this server to a Virtual machine, either for Vmaware or Hyper-v environment

Hope this helps

Regards

Neil

Barnaby
Level 3
Employee

Are you looking to do a redirected restore of data to a different server, or restore the Backup Exec media server to a new piece of hardware?

kajtek
Level 4

Thanks Neil for help. I plan install new version BE 2012 in Q4 this year, but i need restore problematic machine now :) I check that in BE 12.5 I can`t do this and I don`t have System Recovery. 

Solution is install another instance of BE Server, install VM at the same name as server, install agent, import and catalog media and restore server from backup to another machine. Very very time consuming but it is some workaround.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

In backup 2012 you can restore there would not be an issue performing a Restore to another system using SDR

RobRodrigues
Level 4

Regarding this post, i'd like to know if this scenario is possible.

If i install for instance at virtualbox a SBS server 2011 and boot it with the SDR ISO disk i can restore a full backup of my SBS 2011 principal server wich has full sdr backup and also a full image VHD backup because it is a VM on the hyper-v cluster that i have, is this possible ?

best regards.