cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Image with Backup Exec 12

miracom
Level 3

I have searched the internet but haven't found any solution yet.

I've got an image (of a Exchange-Server), made by Backup Exec 12, but I can't check it to restore. We backup to our NAS and that's working just fine. But when I backup the Exchange-Server the software does the image itself (is there any possibility to have a .bfk-file as well for this?), but I don't even see it in the restore-assistant. But when I look it up in the explorer of the NAS I see it and everything's fine with it. So can I restore the image with Backup Exec 12 or do I need additional software?

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you use IDR or System Recovery to create the image of the Exchange server ? What is the format of the backed up files ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are you referring to the IMG folders?

Those are created when you run a GRT enabled backup of Exchange, and contain only the Exchange database backups

The flat files from the Exchange server  will be in standard BKF files

miracom
Level 3

yes I'm referring to the IMG-folders. Can I do anything with it? I seriously have no idea how to get that image back.. I actually don't even need the "whole" image, but my co-worker deleted one single folder in his outlook and wants it back. So this should be in the database, right?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can restore the individual items using the procedure in this article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

miracom
Level 3

I did find this article, too, but my problem is the following (I actually tried it, though I knew it wouldn't work):

We had a change of backup-methods. For a whole month we only backed up to the NAS while NOT having a disk or tape. Well no problem, as the NAS still saved these "IMGxxx" folders (but overwrote the .bfk-files). Now I have one IMG-folder left, I maybe need (my co-worker doesn't  know how long the folder has been deleted). Anyways, I see all the Information Stores since I backed up to the new disks, but I don't see the ones I did on the NAS. Why?

Maybe I need to say, that I changed the way of backing up for the disks. You can choose between 4 different types to back up your exchange, right? The ones on the NAS were configured like this: the entire database (I use Backup Exec in German, it would say "Gesamt - Datenbank & Protokolle (reservierte Protokolle leeren)"), then I changed it to just copy. Since then they'd show up. Is that the reason why I don't see it on the restore list?

Is there still a way I can get these files in Backup Exec?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Having just one .img file does not sound right.  It looks like it is being re-used repeatedly.  You should check the OPP of the targeted media set and set it so that an appropriate number of copies of backup would be kept.

If the .img file is overwritten, there is no way to get back the overwritten files.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Does that IMG folder name in your NAS acvtually show up in the media list in Backup Exec - if it does not then start with inventory and catalog jobs of the b2d device that contains the IMG.

If it does appear in the media list, then in your restore selections make sure you are not filtered just for last 30 days and /or use the restore by media option to locate the same IMG folder.

miracom
Level 3

I do NOT have just one img-file. I have several folders called "IMG0000xx". BUT I don't have the bfk-files from the same day, the image was taken. So we overwrite these files everyday (though we have bfk-files on external disks to have backups from older days).

For me the files in this folder seem fine, but I still can't see it in the restore-assistant. There's no filter to show the backup-files from the last 30 days, as I see all the backups (and images) I did to the external disks. I just don't see that (needed) one on the NAS taken 2 months ago. Though I see it in the explorer and it all seems fine.

miracom
Level 3

I don't know which media list you mean exactly, but I just searched for it in the whole software and it didn't show up anywhere. I do see other images, but none of them are the ones on the NAS. I did start a inventory job as well, but it didn't help.

Guess I'll just have to tell my co-worker that his folder is lost.

Thanks for the help anyway.