cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Limits with BEWS 2010

rustypeterson
Level 3
I know that previous versions of BE had a limit of (at least in the case of 12.5)  4 TB. If the backup job wasless than 4 TB, individual files could be selected for restore, and anything greater than 4 TB would require a full restore of the backed up data Unfortunatly, I was never able to do select files from jobs that were greater than 2 TB.

I was informed several months ago that the new version of BE (2010 obviously) would correct this. Does anyone know if this is the case or if that 4 TB limit still exists with BEWS 2010?

Additional info you may want:
Windows Server 2003 SP2 (x86)

Thanks

Rusty
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

STeve_O
Level 5

The problem is partially fixed in Backup Exec 2010.   Instead of failing with a media error in Backup Exec 12.5 and below the job will fail in Backup Exec 2010 and point you to a technote and registry change.   Same registry change listed below.  usually you will have the problem if the files you are trying to restore are past the 4TB mark in the backup set.

When restoring a subset of data from a backup set that is larger than 4 terabytes (TB), the restore would say successful even though all the data was not restored
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316323.htm

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
 I have personally backed up at one of my last jobs a file server with over 6TB of files with 11d.  And have done full recoveries of single 600KB JPG files as requested.
With 11d and 12.5 I've got customers backing up near 35TB of data across 4 media servers.

There is no hard limit to dataset sizes in BE.  You are limited by bandwidth, disk I/O, and target location write speeds.

Depending on file count not size, it could mean a FULL SQL install and not the embedded database for better catalog look up performance.

rustypeterson
Level 3
That is good to know tevia

However,  after I run an Archive job on my production servers, I do a test restore of several randomly selected files. several months ago, I ran into the problem of having to do my test restore as if it were a full restore as the job was larger than 4TB.
So, what I wish to know is if now with BE 2010, I can have do a selected file restore with large jobs as I have an 8 TB archive to do in a few weeks.

teiva-boy
Level 6
If you did or have an issue, this is a prime example of when to open up a support case.  

As if there is a known issue, they can tell you about it.  Or if it's not a known issue, you will be helping the community by them diagnosing it and hopefully having a workaround for it with a KB article following it...

STeve_O
Level 5

The problem is partially fixed in Backup Exec 2010.   Instead of failing with a media error in Backup Exec 12.5 and below the job will fail in Backup Exec 2010 and point you to a technote and registry change.   Same registry change listed below.  usually you will have the problem if the files you are trying to restore are past the 4TB mark in the backup set.

When restoring a subset of data from a backup set that is larger than 4 terabytes (TB), the restore would say successful even though all the data was not restored
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316323.htm