cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Progress Extremely Slow

Scott_Clark
Level 2
First the setup:

Controller: Dell PowerEdge 1850 with Adaptec U160 SCSI.
Tape Device: Dell PowerVault 122T LTO-2 automated 8-tape drive.

We're backing up a local network of Windows Server 2003 boxes using this setup. Our backup speeds aren't screaming fast, but reasonable (260-360MB/sec). The problem is with the restore. I attempted to restore a 380MB file last week and after 4h 25m, it had only restored 23MB of the file and was seemingly stalled. This morning, I restored a 48KB image file and it took 5:46. I realize some of this is for loading the tape and seeking on the media, but that seems to take about 2:30 generally, so that means another 3:16 to restore the file?

Are there any settings I can change in the restore process? I can't think the network is the problem because of the backup speeds we're able to get.

Thanks,
Scott
5 REPLIES 5

Scott_Clark
Level 2
I forgot to mention, we're running Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.0.

Scott

Scott_Clark
Level 2
Well, after opening a support ticket with Symantec and going through the whole VERITAS support site, it appears that this is my only support option and my CTO is on my behind about getting an answer.

Can anyone help me? At these "speeds", the backups are completely useless.

Mike_Walter
Not applicable
Call Dell support and have them provide you with the document on the Four Key Configuration items with BackupExec for Windows and PowerVault solutions.

Mike

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
While it is understandable for a restore job to run slower then a backup job (no buffer, expanding compressed data, writing files), I would expect maybe a 25-50% decrease in performance. Do you do verifies after your backups? If so, what is the performance? Without knowing more, I would recommend running a cleaning tape through the drive first then you can rerun a verify job on the tape if it wasn't done to see if there is some performance problem during tape reads vs. tape writes.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Scott,

Could you tell us more about your Jobs and the environment.
- What are you trying to restore?
- Is a Database restore?
- Is it a remote Restore?
- Is it a Restore from a Tape or a Backup to Disk Folder?
- Have you tested a Restore from a Backup to Disk folder? What were the results?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.