cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Windows Share

ef2007
Level 4

I don't know if it's my fault or simply it's not an available feature, but I would like to know how to completely backup a windows share (including its share permissions) and restore not only folders, files and NTFS permissions, but also the share itself and its share permissions.

When I backup a windows share on a filer with the remote agent installed, the job ends successfully.

But, if I try to completely restore it in a disaster recovery event (i.e. the share has been deleted), the job fails with error "0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again." and a link to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/knowledge_base_sli.jsp?umi=EvtID=V-79-57344-33932.

The job end successfully only if I previously re-create the share on the same path and then run the restore, but as I wrote no share info are restored,

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

ef2007
Level 4
Anyone having ideas for solving this issue?

SKlassen
Level 3

To restore the shared state of a directory, I believe that you'd also have to restore system state.  The reason why is that share information, including share permissions is held in the registry, not in the file system like ntfs perms.

Of course you may not want all of the other stuff in the registry.  What you want to do is make a backup .reg file export of the following registry key:  HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares

This is where share info is stored.  This way, you can restore all the folders and files from backup exec, then all you'll need to do is run the reg file to import the settings.  Then restart the Server service and your shares will be available.

One important note, the folders/files must be in the same path as on the original machine, otherwise you must hand edit the .reg file to modify the paths before importing.

ef2007
Level 4

Thanks for your answer. I understand that the registry holds shares info and I could backup the system state to save the registry (or schedule an export job for that key only), but can you please confirm that there is no different built-in feature in BEWS to selectively backup a single share complete with its permission and definition?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The job end successfully only if I previously re-create the share on the same path and then run the restore, but as I wrote no share info are restored,

That sounds about right (and it makes sense, if you think about it)

ef2007
Level 4

It's right that I can restore data on a share with same name, but what about share permissions? The answer is that BEWS doesn't restore share info, it's able to backup data only, you have to backup share info by yourself, as suggested by SKlassen, in a disaster recovery scenario like mine.

Symantec tech. support, after asking for vxgather logs, wasn't able to give me a better solution than this.

Well, I think that sending an enhancement request it's worth it!