cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a full backup from a physical server to a Hyper-V machine?

eaus
Level 3

Hello.

Running Backup Exec 2010 R3, I wish to recover a full backup from a physical server - to a Hyper-V machine.

My scenario is this:

We have a physical server running MS Windows Server 2003 R2 and MS SQL 2005 Standard. After a disk-failure we are having trouble rebuilding the RAID-array, which seems to be related to a damaged "model"-file within the SQL. The server is running fine, but the RAID will not rebuild because of this, so we might have to reinstall the server. Before doing this I would like to make sure this will work, by doing a test-restore to a virtual Hyper-V machine. This will also let me play around to see if it can be fixed without doing a restore

Can anyone send me in the right direction on this?

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As of yet, BE does not offer P2V conversion, though a different product SSR does...

eaus
Level 3

Basically this server is running three major services:

- SQL

- IIS with our intranet-site

- Trend antivirus server

So then I would have best sucsess by migrating these services to a Hyper-V, reinstall the physical server, and then moving them back?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If it is easy to move the services to a VM, then do so.  However, I suspect this is not going to be easy.

If you have a good backup of your damaged server, then just re-configure the RAID array and do a complete recovery of the server.  See the Preparing for Disaster Recovery section of the Admin Guide to familiarise yourself with the steps required to recover your server.