cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore data from USB drive

mindy
Level 3

Hi,

I run Backup Exec 11d for Windows server on Windows server 2003. I backup date to USB hard drive. I want to restore data from one of my USB hard drive that is disconnected from server since I know the data is on it, however after I reconnected it to the server,  it is shown offline in Backup Exec 11d. How can I make Backup Exec 11d detect the USN drive?

Any help will be appretiated!

Thanks in advance!

Mindy

7 REPLIES 7

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

You didn’t give a lot of information, but I suspect that your problem is related to this document: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276904.htm

Basically it says that you can only have one USB drive per backup-to-disk folder, and each drive must have its own letter. So if you have three drives, they would need to be F: G: and H:, for example, and you would need to have three B2D devices.

Now as to restoring your data, that is pretty easy, and this works for both removable and non-removable backup-to-disk folders:

1) If you desire and you have extra disk space, you can make a copy of the data on the USB drive.

2) From within Backup Exec>Devices, delete your B2D folder (BUT NOT THE DATA ON THE USB DRIVE).

3) From within Backup Exec>Devices, recreate the B2D folder and point it to the physical location on the USB drive. If you do this manually, you will get a warning about an existing unknown B2D folder and do you want to overwrite it…answer Yes. You will not get this warning if you use the wizard.

4) Now click on your new B2D device and you will see the media in the right pane. Right click the media and inventory and catalog it.

5) You are ready to restore.

This is the same procedure you would use had your entire server crashed and you did not have access to your Backup Exec database after reinstalling the server and BE.

There may be more direct ways to make your restore work, but without more info, this is still pretty fast and will work.

mindy
Level 3

Hi Kevin, thank you for your reply. Here is what I did in detail. I first connected the USB drive to the server. Windows detected the drive and assigned drive letter J. I am able to open drive J and see the backup files in it. Then I created a new removable backup-to-disk folder within the Backup Exec and pointed the path to drive J in the path field. Then I did inventory, but inventory hangs there. In the job status, it shows loading media with a yellow question mark in front of it. Please advice!

Thanks again,

Mindy

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Was there any previous backup-to-disk folder that was assigned to a USB drive at the letter J?

I am not sure this will change anything, but I want to rule it out due to that tech document I posted and that you did not mention deleting previous B2D folders: go into disk manager and change the drive letter to something you have never used for a USB disk drive, then make a B2D folder that points to it and try it again.

Also what does the alert say about the yellow question mark? There must be more infomation.

mindy
Level 3

We used to backup to USB drive long time ago. Now we use tape backup. There is no any USB drive connected to the server for a while. The Remote backup-to-disk folder is empty before I created the new one. I changed the drive letter to Q within the Disk management and I deleted the previous B2D folder and recreated a new one point to Q, but I still got the same problem. Below are error messages from Exec and Event Viewer.

Catalog 00028 -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not found. 

Drive and media mount requested: 12/14/2008 11:38:18 AM
V-79-57344-33035 - Error - Mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Drive not found.

Media GUID: {A596F2E4-5819-4C06-AAF2-D867A87BE414}
Media Label: FLDR000114
Drive Name: Removable Backup-to-Disk Folder 1
V-79-57344-33035 - Unable to acquire device for the specified pool and media
Physical Volume Library Drive not found.

Event ID 58053

Backup Exec Alert: Device Error

(Server: "Backup") (Job: "Catalog 00029") The drive hardware is offline.

Please confirm that the drive hardware is powered on and properly cabled.

For more information, click the following link:

http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Even ID 34113

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed

(Server: "Backup") (Job: "Catalog 00029") Catalog 00029 -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not found.

After I created new B2D folder, there is a media named FLDRXXXX inside the folder. Should I change it to B2Dxxxx?  From Windows, I can open the USB drive, there are 4 folders there: Full, INCR, Veritas, Backup Exec AOSO store. 2 files: folder.cfg, changer.cfg. All backup files are in folder Full and INCR.

Thanks for help!

Mindy

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
Try doing it as a nonremovable B2D device instead. Also, I am going to send you a private message.

mindy
Level 3

Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much! It works after I do it as nonromovable B2D device as you suggested. I don't know why. It is USB drive. I am able to restore the missing data. I am so excited! A million thanks to you!

Mindy

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
It should have worked as a removable drive, but I suspect there was something simple being missed. Glas you are all set now.