cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore errors, does not have valid credentials.

james_richard2
Level 4

Hi guys,

I'm trying to do a restore and it just won't let me, keeps giving me the error after about 10 secs everytime;

"servername.domain.co.uk Restore 00038 -- The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it. The logon account does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct in the logon account.

I can backup absolutely fine but it just won't restore because some credential issues, I'm running backup exec 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2, service pack for is installed and 2 hotfix's 215906 & 217347. Also there are no avaliable updates to install at all and I'm restoring from Tapes and the tape is in :-P.

Any help would be great thank you, I can't seem to find an answer.

Many thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

james_richard2
Level 4

Hello,

I've just this minute sorted it :-).

When I started the restore wizard, and I was at the file selection part and I clicked on "add/edit credentials" and on the D drive which I was trying to restore from i changed the account from "System local account" to our "domain\administrator"  account and it's run fine now :)

Thanks for all your help guys :)

James

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check the TN below:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH129044.html

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What type of data are you restoring ?

Are you restoring to the original server or to a different server ?

james_richard2
Level 4

I'll take a look at the document thanks Craig.

I was trying to restore to another server but i've tried restoring to the local server and tried to restore it to another folder on the local server but I got the same error.

Thanks

James

VJware
Level 6

Is it regular file-system type data ?

Is the System Logon Account as the account in the restore wizard workflow ?

james_richard2
Level 4

It's database and log files I'm trying to restore to another server.

The system logon account is there yes, although I did notice when doing a restore i tried changing the logon account to our domain administrator account and when I click next it defaults back to "System logon account".

Thanks

James

VJware
Level 6

Assuming its Exchange, then do ensure the BE account has the appropriate rights as per the following KB. Restore process is different from backup and usually backup will work due to lack of certain rights, but restores will error out.

KB - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH184449.html

Ideally, the System Logon Account should be set as Default and should be the account under which the BE services run. Provide appropriate rights and permissions to this account.

Lastly, when restoring to a different server, then BE should have appropriate user rights to the remote server and also Exchange specific rights on that remote server.

james_richard2
Level 4

Hello,

I've just this minute sorted it :-).

When I started the restore wizard, and I was at the file selection part and I clicked on "add/edit credentials" and on the D drive which I was trying to restore from i changed the account from "System local account" to our "domain\administrator"  account and it's run fine now :)

Thanks for all your help guys :)

James