cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore files (with special chars from a Linux System, on Tape) on/to Windows (with BE 10d)

able_tom
Level 2

Hey community,

I need your help and expertise concerning a restore I try now for a while.

We have Backup Exec 10d running on a Windows Server 2003 and try to recover files from Tape Library (originally from a Linux machine). This files contain special characters which Windows can not handle (e.g. comma [,]).

The 'redirect files'-method to the local Windows System disc does not work cause of the special characters in the files (creates 0-byte-files on Windows file system)

Is there another way to restore the files easily or do I have to go the hard way with setting up a Linux System with Agent config (which I tried and also had Agent communication issues between BE and Linux Agent)

Best and thanks for any reply in advance,
Norman

5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think you realy have to install a linux machine with agent to get this work.

You may want to install this in a virtual machine (vmware workstation) to speed it up if you don't have any hardware available.

able_tom
Level 2

I've guessed it!

Do you (or someone else) maybe could help me with the configuration of this Agent/BE? It's realy confusing - the Agent (Unix Agent, v 5.01 r5.046) wants to have infos like 'name' and 'password' in its agent.cfg file. But the BE 10d says somtehing about 'Resource Logon' (Ressourcenamledung) and 'Username' and does not let me change the destination server (it's fixed set to the initial server where the backup was taken from).

Many words for a simple question: How do I have to configure on the one hand the BE/Restore task and on the other hand the agent.be (we have Unix Agent, v 5.01 r5.046)?

Thanks,
Norman

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If this/these tapes were created on a Linux machine, I beleive that you will need a Linux machine to do the restores.  I don't think the re-direct from a Windows machine will work

able_tom
Level 2

We're still in a try ('n error) process.

The Backup Exec 10d is running on a Windows Server 2003. The Tape Library is connected to this server. The files we want to recover have been taken from a Linux machine.

But now, we want to restore them to another Linux machine. And there the trouble starts. The Agent on the Linux machine has communication issues (I'll give you further infos later, log & so on). But for me would be interesting how must the agent and the BE be configured correctly to communicate/restore. E.g. I'm not able to tell BE a different destination server (different from the originaly source machine).

Best,
Norman

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

While performing a direct or re-directed restore, the machine should have the RALUS agent installed....this should be the same version as that of the media server...

ndmp port 10000 is to be open for communication between the media server & the linux box...if firewall or SELinux being used, you would have to add this port as an exception