cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restored Windows 2003 server won't boot

David_Maas
Level 2
I did a barebones rebuild of a server to Windows 2003 SP1, loaded the Windows Remote Agent, and then did a full restore of the hard drive partitions and SQL 2000 from the Backup Exec server. (10.0, Service pack 2 version 5520.) The restore made it to 96%, then failed with a message about a device being unavailable, and another message to restart the rebuilt server. When I attempted to reboot, the server failed with the following message:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

I found that error message in the forums when using an older build of Backup Exec 10, and using ISR, with the advice to load an old patch. I tried updating my Backup Exec server to SP3, but I get the same results.

What do I need to do to get this server restored?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
5 REPLIES 5

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Are you trying to restore SQL or are there other applicaions also that you are trying to get back.

David_Maas
Level 2
SQL, IIS, and some batch jobs hiding under the covers.

Basically, I want my "full" back up to work as a "full" restore.

S_L_2
Level 4
David:

Do you mean "barebones restore" by means of using the Barebones Agent? The Barebones Agent is something extra that you have to buy. Or did you actually rebuild a box with Windows 2003 SP1 and apply to it all the hotfixes and updates that were installed on it , then install the Remote Agent, then perform the restore?

-S

David_Maas
Level 2
By "barebones" I meant "plain vanilla Windows."

I found my problem: the Windows 2003 cd I was using did NOT include SP1. Once I installed that seperately, I was fine.

Thanks all.

Dave

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
You may find it quicker to install the apps (iis/sql) and then restore the websites and databases