cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Exchange store gives 0xe0008488

kenrinc
Level 2

I have need to restore an old copy of a message store from 5 years back.  We need to search for emails for legal reasons.  Nearly all of the accounts in this store are no longer in Active Directory.  I'm just letting you know this beforehand.  What I want to do is restore this old copy into a recovery storage group without mounting the store and then search against it.  Seems simple enough but I cannot get Backupexec to restore.  Whenever I try I get "0xe0008488 - Access is denied etc..." The problem is that I can restore single mailboxes from the "brick" part of the backup just not the entire store and I want to know why.  I've verified all account informaiton and it's all correct and been verified multipel times.  Testing shows that all accounts test successful.

When I execute the restore it begins, shows 188 bytes and then hangs for about 10minutes before coming back with the above error.  Can anyone shed any light on what I need to do to get this working?  All I want is the raw store from tape.  That's the goal.

Backup Exec 10d r5629, Exchange 2003 SP2

Ken-
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

want2backup
Level 3

I finally solved this one.  After looking back through Craigs stuff it looks as if he's using 11d or later so I dissmissed that info out of version differences. It seems that when using the RSG feature of Exch 2003 there is an issue with pointing the RSG database files to a drive other than the live Exch drive. They must go to the same drive.   They were originally going to an external USB drive, which I could never make work. Once I changed the destiniation to a location on the drive that currently holds the live Exch stores, it worked. 

Now, I could not do this originally because, of course, I did not have enough space on that drive to do the restore, hence the USB drive.  I then ended up doing some housekeeping and was able to cleanup the drive to gain enough space to do a restore to an RSG.  It is a lame duck attempt by MS though.  Anyone who's dealt with Exch enough knows the hassle of dealing with not having enough disk space (for whatever reason) and not being able to redirect to another drive is just stupid. Maybe 2010 is better.  Not sure I'll be moving to it...  $.02

Ken-

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

so you are trying to redirect the restore of complete IS to RSG. Make sure the backup is not a snapshot backup as you can redirect that to RSG.

Configure the RSG again and delete the old one, delete the files as well. Make sure the account you are using shoul have enough rights on exchange. If the data is on tape then try duplicating it on disk and then try to restore it

kenrinc
Level 2

It's my understand that if Backupexec "sees" an RSG setup in Exch 2003 it will redirect to the RSG instead of the true Storage Group.  So I'm not redirecting the store in Backupexec.  It did work, once.  Every subsequent try just gives the error.  I haven't tried deleting the RSG and recreating so I'll try that tonight.

Ken

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Thats correct if you have a RSg created on the excahnge server the restore woul automatically be redirected to the RSG and will not go to the original location
  Make sure you check the option to "database can be overwritten by restore " as once you perform the restroe the option is cleared and you would would need to select it again .
Make the The Drive where RSG is created on the drive which had the default admin share ie C$ or G$ ...I dont know if I have frame this correct works or not ..you can just share all the drive along with the C drive

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Have you tried to stage to disk first before restoring?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

Another means of doing this is staging to disk, and using Ontrack Powercontrols, and pull the data out that you need. It will only do it to a *.pst, but I suspect you can push the required data into another Information Store too.
You can also check out the tech note below...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305383.htm

Troyw
Level 3
Anternatively you should check out Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp that will let you export a raw EDB to PST, MSG or XML or transfer date direct form an offline EDB to the live production server.  Their are also project based licenses availble

Troy 

want2backup
Level 3
So far still no go.  Even after deleting and recreating the RSG I still get the same error. But someone above said that the RSG had to point to it's files on the local drives? So maybe that is the problem. I've set the RSG to locate the edb and stm files on an external drive because my Exchange server does not have enough space to restore the files.  I made sure that "database can be overwritten" was checked.

I'm using the Lucid8 product but it doesn't allow you to "grab" the data off the tape like the Ontrack products does. All I need is a "raw" store that I can point the Lucid8 product to but I have not been able to produce that as of yet.

Ken-

CraigV
Hi Ken,

If you just want the *.edb file, duplicating to a disk with enough storage is going to give you this.
From there you can pull data out of it (if it works like Ontrack Powercontrols)...

Laters!

Troyw
Level 3

Here is some information to help you out with regards to Backup Exec, MS RSG's and Lucid8's DigiScope

MS Recovery Storage Groups (RSG)

The RSG feature in Exchange 2003 allows you to mount a second copy of an Exchange mailbox store on any Exchange server in the same Exchange Administrative Group as the original, while the original store is still running and serving clients.

The following are requirements for restoring Microsoft Exchange 2003 data using the Recovery Storage Group (RSG):
  • Mailbox stores in the RSG must come from the same storage group. You cannot add mailbox stores from different storage groups to the RSG at the same time.
  • The mailbox store that you are adding to the RSG has to be located on the same server that you are restoring to if performing a redirected restore of a Mailbox Store from another server.
  • Public folder stores are not supported for restore using the RSG.
  • Do not mount mailbox stores in the RSG before the restore. If you do mount the stores before the restore, then you must dismount them and select "This database can be overwritten by a restore" on the database property page in Exchange System Manager prior to restoring them.
  • On the server that hosts the RSG, there must be a storage group with the same name as the original storage group for the data you are restoring. If no such storage group exists on the server, then you must create the storage group name as it existed originally during the backup and the mailbox store name that the RSG references must have the same name as the backed up version. (In 11.x and later versions, the RSG can exist on any server in the Forest and there does not have to be a regular SG with the name of the original SG present.)
  • When the RSG exists on a server, the mailbox stores that it contains are the only stores that can be restored on that server by default. Symantec recommends that you create the RSG only when you intend to recover data using it, and remove the RSG from the server after the data recovery is complete.

To create a Recovery Storage Group:

1. Start Exchange System Manager. Expand Administrative Groups (if appropriate), expand the Administrative Group Name (if appropriate), and then expand Servers

2. Right-click ServerName, point to New, and then click Recovery Storage Group.

3. In the Name box, type a name for the Recovery Storage Group. Try to use the same name that you used for the original storage group when you specify a name for the Recovery Storage Group. If you receive an error message that is similar to the following and Figure 1 when you do so, use a different name for the Recovery Storage Group:

"The object StorageGroupName already exists."

Figure 1

4. Enter a unique directory name for this object. In the Transaction log location and in the System path location boxes, specify a location for the transaction log files and for the system path. Make sure that the location that you specify for the transaction log files for the Recovery Storage Group is different from the location that is specified for the transaction log for the original storage group. Click OK.

5. Right-click the Recovery Storage Group that you created, and then click Add Database to Recover (Figure 2)

Figure 2

6. In the Select database to recover dialog box, click the mailbox store that you want to add to the Recovery Storage Group, and then click OK. In the Mailbox Store Properties dialog box, review the properties of the mailbox store, and then click OK (Figure 3).

** Important **  Make sure that while reviewing the Mailbox store information, if you have multiple Exchange servers in your configuration, the name and location match the Mailbox store that you intended to attach to the RSG.

Figure 3

To restore Exchange 2003 databases using the Recovery Storage Group:

1. On the navigation bar in Backup Exec, click Restore. On the Properties pane, under Source, click Selections. In the restore selections list, select the backup sets you want to restore (Figure 4).
Note: make sure you select the mailbox store only. Public Folder stores are not supported for restore using the RSG.

Figure 4

2. On the Properties pane, under Settings, click Exchange. Select the appropriate options.
  • IMPORTANT DO NOT SELECT the Commit after restore completes checkbox NOR the Mount database after restore checkbox on the Restore Job Properties dialog box for Exchange.

3. If the RSG resides on a different Exchange server than the databases you are restoring, you can redirect the restore by selecting Exchange Redirection (Figure 5)

Figure 5

4. Start the restore job

5.  When the restore is complete, DO NOT MOUNT THE DATABASE WITHIN THE RSG.  DOING SO WILL CHANGE THE DATABASE GUID

6.  Either Point DigiScope to the EDB, STM and LOG files location where they were restored to in the RSG or copy them from to an alternate location.  If in doubt of the location you can right click on the database within the RSG and select properties.

7. Use DigiScope to extract the desired data to PST, MSG etc and then you can import them at each users desktop OR use DigiScope to connect to the live server and then;
Hope that helps 

Troy Werelius
Lucid8

want2backup
Level 3
Thanks Troy. Those were the instructions I used originally and the reason I'm posting.  The restore does not work as is noted in the original posting.

Now I'm getting a different error after deleting the old RSG and creating a new one: 0xe000fe30 - communications failure
V-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operations cancelled.

Ken-

CraigV

want2backup
Level 3

I think this may be my problem:

The Active Directory topology of the Exchange system must be intact and in the same state it was in when the backup was made. You cannot restore mailbox stores that were deleted and recreated. In addition, you cannot recover mailboxes from stores if the mailboxes were deleted and purged from the system or moved to other servers or mailbox stores

All the accounts associated with this message store are gone.  I can't understand why you can't restore the raw store files.  Is it possible to get BackupExec to do this?

Ken-

CraigV
Hey man,

You can check out the links below...they would explain that error, or go some way to explaining it...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/343449.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/343437.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126

want2backup
Level 3
Thanks guys. I don't need any help with the RSG, I'm sure that works, I need help with BackupExec.  I need to recover the raw exchange file from tape and get it on a file server.  How do I bypass Exchange to get this file?

Ken

CraigV
Hi,

Duplicate to disk, and this will leave the *.edb and any *.chk files etc.
This is how you will get the raw file.

Laters!

Troyw
Level 3
Craig, I am not familiar with the "Duplicate to disk" functionality, but if you actually can recover the raw files from a Backup Exec online Exchange backup that would be great.  Used to be you could just do a restore to alternate location so perhaps this replaced it?   By chance could you please provide a  doggy piggy bunny step by step instructions of how to accomplish this? 

Much thanks in advance for your time.

Troy

R_gis_Paravisi
Not applicable

The Duplicate functionality will not able you to restore files because when you do a duplicate to disk, all files created are .BKF files and not raw files. I think that this is not your problem.
Are you sure that your Recovery database is offline ? This is a pre requisite to restore. Other thing... make sure that your user that is trying to restore have right on exchange server (mailbox admin, send as... so one). You can find the correct rights at backup exec docs.

Good luck
Régis Paravisi

CraigV
...not quite Regis...when you duplicate to disk, you are actually copying the data OFF the tape as it would look.
I do that all the time, and I am left with what is in the screen dump below. It is most definitely possible to extract data from that, as I had to do it 3 weeks ago. BE currently has the same issue as 12.0 where if 2 storage groups have the same *.edb name, you cannot restore from them.
I duplicated to disk, and then used Ontrack Powertools to pull the necessary emails out of the offline edb.

CraigV
Hi Troy,

Just look a couple of posts up...there is an article I wrote last year explaining it. Should give you the information you need.
Simply put: I don't bother restoring directly into Exchange. I always stage to disk first. It also proves my backups are working in the first place =)

want2backup
Level 3
CraigV,

This is where I'm hazy.  I didn't see the screenshot. How the hell do you do a duplicate to disk? BE doesn't allow you to redirect Exchange stores other than to put them on another Exchange server otherwise I would have done that.

Ken