cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring VM's

RV
Level 3

Let us say that these applications are running on each on its own VMs on a HyperV (HyperV on C and VMs on D).

I have a seperate media server running SBE 2012 (with BE Agent for VMWare and MS HyperV only.  I have no BE Agent for apps/databases so no GRT)

I added a server and pushed the Agent on the HyperV only; added one backup job "fully selected" which includes the C,D,System State, HyperV,etc. which I then create a SDR and saved the .dr file.

#1 - If the SP and Exchange got corrupted and I had to restore the 2 VMs (on same HyperV), all I have to do is do a one job restore in a single pass the VMs and everything should be there?

#2 - If I have to restore the HyperV (on another new ML350), the SDR boot disk can only restore the HyperV part?

#3 - Then I do another job restore and have the VMs redirected to the new ML350?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RV
Level 3

To me SBE stands for Symante Backup Exec not Small Business for Backup Exec.  All my question were all assumptions though.

That is what I'm assuming too that if I use a bootable SDR, it will restore the VHD's as well and thus all the VM's.  I will have to test this one.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You cannot use BE SBE beacuse it only include one Hyper-V licence which you are using for your media server and it does not allow you to add another Hyper-V agent.  See this document.

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

2) If you restore the VHD's and thus the VM's, then the VM's would be recovered and you can use it straight away.  You don't have to do anything else.

3) Assuming you are using a normal BE for your media server and is doing what you want to do.  I believe that the VHD's are backed up when you select the entire server.  (You got to verify this because I am not using Hyper-V).  If this is the case, then when you restore the entire server using SDR, you would have restored the VHD's and thus all the VM's.

RV
Level 3

To me SBE stands for Symante Backup Exec not Small Business for Backup Exec.  All my question were all assumptions though.

That is what I'm assuming too that if I use a bootable SDR, it will restore the VHD's as well and thus all the VM's.  I will have to test this one.

Thanks.