cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from B2D Files

CaliberTech99
Level 2

Hello, last week one of our file servers crashed. It just so happens that this is the same server that backup exec was running on. We were backing up to an external hard drive.

We have Backup Exec 2010 R3 reinstalled on a new server and we have the external drive attached. We have also created a B2D folder that points to the folder on the external drive. We can now see hundreds of B2D files if we click on the B2D folder under devices. We THOUGHT the next step would be to catalog all of these files. We have gone through and done that. Now, when we attempt a restore, we browse through the server and see all the files, however a lot of the files are greyed out and say "not selectable for restore because not all media is available". How is that possible if I've cataloged every single B2D file on the external drive? "

We've actually cataloged all media on the drive twice - once with the "require all media in the sequence for catalog operations" and "use storage media based catalogs" settings enabled and once without these settings enabled. What are we doing wrong? 

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ensure date filter is not checked, i.e. both beginning & ending backed up date

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Were the jobs that created the BKF files Overwrite or Append jobs?

I'm thinking that if they were Append, and then expired, some of each "append family" may have been overwritten and thus is "missing"

If so, there isn't much you can do about it now.  Just make sure all your Disk jobs are Overwrite from now on

CaliberTech99
Level 2

I think they were append but I'm not sure. What I don't get though is there were weeks of backups on that disk. Its a 1tb disk and the backups were only about 50gb. I only need the most recent backup. The most recent backup should be there in its entirety right? I don't understand how it wouldn't be. And I do see about 50gb worth of backup files from that most recent day. I really don't get it.