Did you mean: 

Restoring from a network-attached-storage causes error e00084ad

Tillmann_Cordes
Level 2
Hello,

i've go the following configuration:

- Backupexec 11d for SBS on a server called "SERVER" with a HP autoloader DAT,
- "SERVER" is AD-Controller of the domain "company.local"
- a NAS (Thecus 5200 "N5200") that ist embedded in the domain "company.local" and accessed via LAN
- there is no BackupExec-agent running on the NAS, because it has its own OS, that cannnot be configurated
- the files on the NAS are backuped via UNC-Paths (ie: \\N5200\data). This works fine (although i receive an error message that the openfile-option didn't work on the N5200. But never mind - the data is on the tape)

When i try to restore data back onto the N5200 i get an error e00084ad (Sorry in german):

"e00084ad - Eine Datei oder ein Verzeichnis wurde in einem Format f�r NTFS unter Microsoft Windows 2000 oder h�her erstellt und kann nur auf einem NTFS-Datentr�ger wiederhergestellt werden, der unter Microsoft Windows 2000 oder h�her ausgef�hrt wird.
Die Datei oderZus�tzliche Informationen zu diesem Fehler finden Sie unter der Verkn�pfung V-79-57344-33965"

Which means something like that the target disk is not NTFS formatted. The link "V-79-57344-33965" shows "no documents matched your search".

As a workaround, i can restore the data onto the SERVER itself and then copy it back to the N5200 - that works but should not be the main procedure, should it?

Thanks for any help!
6 REPLIES 6

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I am not exactly sure but I think that unless your nas has some sort of windows emulation then your workaround is what you are stuck with.

Tillmann_Cordes
Level 2
Well in the meantime i found out, that the NAS has the ext3-filesystem. That points to a specially adapted linux.

But the error should occur already while backuping the data not when restoring, shouldn't it? Allowing backup without any error and then forbidding the restore, seams to be a trap!

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
You may be correct but you are backing up via UNC so that may be a workaround also, why it won't restore to UNC I have no idea, but in other threads I have read, people have issues with NAS that do not have windows emulation, since you have a linux OS on the nas can you use a linux agent?

Tillmann_Cordes
Level 2
Using a linux client would be the smartest idea - unfortunately the OS is embedded and hided from any user interference.

But anyway: thanks! I will use the workaround.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
You could try the NAS manufacturer, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first who tried to use backup exec

Tillmann_Cordes
Level 2
That was the first thing i did, but they refused. I found an "unofficial site" which collects and presents (in a wiki style) own/self written modules for the NAS. I'll contact them...

Again thanks!Message was edited by:
Tillmann Cordes