cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring to dissimilar hardware

DanUS
Not applicable

Hello all,

I have done this once before in an emergency situation, and I didn't have time to take notes.  I regret that now that I have to do it again.  Fortunately, it's a non-critical machine this time around.

I need to restore a machine that was running Windows XP.  It had a SIIG PCI RAID card installed.  We decided to place it on a PowerEdge server (with XP installed).  My question is:  Can I restore the C: drive and the System State to this new hardware?  And should I leave out Boot Files from System state and just do COM+ and Registry?

From what I recall, we had to change the name of this system to what the old machine was, give it the same IP, install the BUE remote agent (of course) and the restore went pretty much as expected.  There were some caveats, but I can't remember what at the moment.

I know I will have to reinstall some drivers for it to work with the new hardware, but as far as booting goes, it should work as long as I don't overwrite the mbr.  Is my thinking on this correct?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

- Using Backup Exec 12.5

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Restore to dissimilar HW will not work, even Symantec does not recommend this kind of a restore.

How can you exclude the boot files from the system state backup ?

You dont get an option to select any resource under system state.

While restoring entire system state needs to be selected.

In case of a Domian Controllers only you get an option to select indivisual items from the system

state.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Dan: Probably won't work, but if you do try, I'd suggest running a repair on Windows anyway. This will reinstall drivers etc which is 1 of the things you'd be lacking.

As far as I know, BESR would have allowed you to do this...