cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review of my simple backup...Questions

AWitek
Level 4
I've been attempting to get BE running for some time now and I think I might have it.

Server 1 - AD and Exchange
Server 2 - Backup Exec.
Server 3 - Misc. Production server.

We run 1 policy: "Backup"
Controls a backup job for each server (3 jobs were created by this policy).  We have excluded the backup of Exchange from Server one's backup (left the Information Store unchecked). These jobs backup stright to tape at 10p.m. every night. We change the tape out every morning. There is about 70Gb of data being backed up each night (set to overwrite). Is this the right way to do this?  Should I be duping this instead of backing up stright to tape? If so, why?

Setting up Continuous Protection for Exchange:

I followed Symantecs instructions for this and it's up and running (I think).  I've set it to make a recovery point every 4 hours.  This job is a B2D currently that backs up to another drive on the same machine (server 2). The job is set to overwrite, and the backup method is Full-Back up files - Using archive bit (resets archive bit).   I believe needs to be 'duped' to tape so during a recovery we don't have to do a 'restore of a restore of a backup'.

Since I cannot create a CP job using a policy how should I be creating the dupe to tape job?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Should I be duping this instead of backing up stright to tape? If so, why?
Duping from disk to tape is not a requirement, it is up to you if you do this.  Most will do this to allow for easier or faster restores from a certain period of time (for example, one week), then go to tapes if they need to restore data.

As for duping the Exchange data, You should have a backup setup in Backup Exec for the CPS data that runs on a schedule.  Just setup a duplicate job to run after that one completes.  There is not a way to duplicate the CPS backup from disk to tape.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
A Duplicate job (as opposed to a standard Copy or an Archive job) copies already backed up data to the output media and updates the catalog so that the output is also restoreable.  If you run B2D, and then do a standard COPY job, you must restore the BKF file(s) to a B2D folder, then inventory the folder, then catalog the BKF file(s) before you can restore user data

If you instead do a Duplicate to Tape, you can restore directly to tape