cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Root credentials fail for some but not all VMs running on a single ESXi server

Basalix
Level 3
Partner

I have a client running Backup Exec 2012 on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Ed.  I am configuring the server to connect to a single ESXi 5.1 server that is running 6 different VM's.  All the VM's are on the domain.  The ESXi server is a stand alone server that is not clustered or connected to vCenter in anyway, so authentication is limited to local VMWare users.  I have configured a user (several in fact) for root and am using it to authenticate to the ESXi server so the servers can be backed up as VM's.  The credentials will work to connect to the server, but randomly fail when trying to connect beyond the ha-datacenter.  Testing credentials will vary the servers that are successful and fail.

MTC - QUAIL-BACK Credentials.png

As you can see above, BAL-APPS is successful, but the other 5 servers on the same ESXi server fail.  I have rebooted the server.  I have recreated the credentials several times.  I cannot come up with a reason why it works for some but not all the servers running on the same box.  Please help.

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Basalix, as of this moment Backup Exec 2012 does not support ESX 5.1.  Support is to arrive at the end of the month with the release of SP2.  Please see:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-beta-news

You can also sign up for a Beta program Here

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If those lower level machines are Windows boxes then you should specify Windows credentials for those objects as they are required for Application GRT (leave root on the ESX host and HADatacenter and any Linux objects that use a root account with the same password.

If not using Application GRT the fact that the test credentials fail probably will not cause the actual backup jobs to fail as we do not use that credential setting for non-App GRT jobs

Basalix
Level 3
Partner

Thank you both.  I will look into each.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Basalix
Level 3
Partner

After installing SP2 I am still receiving the same error.  This has not been resolved.  I am not really sure what to do now.  I have disabled GRT for the job and am only testing the backup of a single server and it WILL NOT backup.  I continue to receive:

Test Backup - BALL-APPS-Full -- The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it. The logon account does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct in the logon account.

Yet when I test credentials it passes.  WTF?!?

Symantec - BE2012 Bad credentials.png

lmosla
Level 6

Try removing and readding the server from the server list. Use the account that Backup Exec services uses to backup the machine.  

If this still fails you should log a support case so that this can be have the appropriate logs gathered and escalated as necessary.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from admin guide and a KB ~

"You cannot test credentials for virtual machines"

For AVVI / Hyper-V backups, I wouldn't recommend to actually use the test/edit credentials option.

Lastly, is a System logon account configured under Backup Exec icon - configuration and settings - logon account ? If yes, it should be in the format domain\user and the Backup Exec services preferably must be running under this account and if not, in the same domain\user format atleast.

AndreSatna
Level 4
Hi all, I have the same problem with backing up a standalone ESX3.5 server. I want to do a full VM backup of the ESX server in order to do an upgrade of the hardware and software. The credentials I have used so far are the following, for the server and ha-datacenter: Domain admin account: success ESX root account: success I'm not able to backup the Windows VM's on the ESX with the above mentioned credentials or the local admin account. I haven't upgraded to SP2 yet. I will do that and also update if I get any success.