cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Tomcat's .exe file isnt backed up

Niko_Turunen
Level 3

Hey,

I'm backing up multiple Tomcat sessions from one server (Windows 2008). I did try to restore those tomcat instances and noticed that Tomcat7.exe files havent been backed up, if the tomcat instance have been running. 

When I select "Restore" -> "Files, fodlers, or volumes" -> "File and folder backups" -> *Browse to my tomcat 7 location, that have been running* -> There isnt Tomcat7.exe file. -> *Browse to my tomcat7 location, that have been disabled on the server* -> There is tomcat7.exe file.

The backup job has been completed succesfully without any warning. 

I'm not backing up server's system state. I'm only backing up file directories.

Backup Exec 2012 Version 14.0 Rev. 1798

Any reason for this? 

Niko Turunen

Finland

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

They will be protected as a System State backup

To prove this do a system state backup, then redirect the restore to a folder and take a look at what gets restored

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You would not see the file separately. You got to redirect the restore of the system state to a directory and then search for the file in this directory

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver

They will be protected as a System State backup

To prove this do a system state backup, then redirect the restore to a folder and take a look at what gets restored

Colin_Weaver

Just for info we do often silently skip files that should be backed up via a different mechanism as otherwise you might get a lot of exception warnings in your jobs

Niko_Turunen
Level 3

Hey,

I backed up the install directory of running Tomcat 7 + server's system state. It still wont let me to restore Tomcat 7's exe. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You would not see the file separately. You got to redirect the restore of the system state to a directory and then search for the file in this directory

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can not browse the files within a system state backup, you have to test restore it somewhere then you can see.

I hate that BE does stuff like this but again this shows that restore tests are of same importance level then setting up backups.

Niko_Turunen
Level 3

Hey,

Thank you for the help. I got the .exe files restored now by restoring the system state to a directory.

Topic/ticket can be closed. 

Thanks,

Niko