cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDLT600 Job Rate / Settings in BackupExec 12.5

eric_giblock1
Level 2
I have a SDLT600 Tape Drive (scsi connection) and was wondering what the settings are out there for people that have the same drive, and what kind of Job Rate do you get for your backups ?

My Settings Look like this, and I am only getting a 874MB/min Backup Job rate, which from what i am reading, is slow compared to other people with the same drive.

Quantum SDLT600
Firmware 3535
Drive Type: 64K (64K,10,0,E,HU,FW)
Media Type: DLT

[x] Enabled Compression
Block Size (per device) 64kb
Buffer Size (per device) 64kb
Buffer count 10
High water count: 0

[] Read single block mode
[x] Write single block mode
[ ] Read SCSI pass-through mode
[x] Write SCSI pass-throughmode

Using Driver: 
Quantum SDLT 600 Tape Drive
Symantec Corporation Version 5.1.34.0

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Eric,

If you look at HP's SDLT 600, that has a maximum transfer rate of 72MB/s compressed, and 36MB/s uncompressed.
Your backup rates will differ depending on what type of data you're currently backing up, but at 874MB/M, you're only running around 14.5MB/s which is slow.
From my side I increase the Buffer Size to 1MB, and leave the rest as-is. This sees a performance increase, but it's not a miracle cure.
Try that and see what it does. I wouldn't mess with the block size, as you're going to get a warning that you risk corrupting your data on restore.
Look at the firmware revision, and update that. It sometimes comes with added improvements to speed amongst others.
Your data will also affect the speed of backups. Lots of little files means your tape drive is not spinning at a constant speed, so it will basically spin up, for 1 file, slow down, spin up for the next file etc.
Download the latest Symantec drivers and apply those as well if need be.
SDLT is also a slower technology that other newer forms of LTO, and I am not sure what other people are getting speed-wise on their SDLTs, so I cannot comment.
Let us know how it goes.

eric_giblock1
Level 2
i changed the buffer to 1mb and i'll let you know how it works this weekend.

thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

[x] Write single block mode

I would deselect this as it bypasses buffering and basically does

Read a block of data from disk
Write the block to the tape
Read a block of data from the disk
Write it to the tape
Read a block ...

[x] Write SCSI pass-throughmode

This setting should only be used in drives in a library.  If your drive is stand-alone, it will have no effect at all on throughput