Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR icon bug?

Holloween
Level 4
Accredited

Dear community, 

Please refer to my attached files Server1.jpg and Server2.jpg.

Non system files are excluded in both Server 1 and Server 2. Why is that in Server1, the SDR icon is lit up whereas in Server 2, SDR icon is not lit up.

My customer wants to know the reason. Is this a bug?

Only in server 1, when I exclude files, the SDR is lit up. On all other servers, when I excluded a .txt file, SDR button is not lit up.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

*Note: I have edit the screenshot to remove the server name as well as the folders.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are there any programs installed on the D:\ on server 2 ?

EDIT**

On Server 2, see if the D:\ is added as an exclusion or not under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Simplified System Protection\User-Defined Exclusion Resources

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6

Are there any programs installed on the D:\ on server 2 ?

EDIT**

On Server 2, see if the D:\ is added as an exclusion or not under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Simplified System Protection\User-Defined Exclusion Resources

Colin_Weaver

Just to elaborate slightly on VJware's answer - if there is any application installed on D: that registers itself in a way that contributes to the System State of the Server, then D: will also have to be backed up in full for the SDR light to be enabled. Typically this might mean something like a service or filter driver has program files stored on D: (although there might be other causes)

The Reg key mentioned by VJware will work around the issue, however be aware that if there is something on D: that is required to boot the operating system and D: is not part of the SDR backup job so has not been recovered then you might struggle (even to the point of a BSOD) with server recovery.

Holloween
Level 4
Accredited

Yes, Colin, I am aware that any application installed in drive D: that is contributing to the system state will turn SDR off. What I dont understand is, even though i exclude a normal text file in D:\ SDR will turn off too.

In which, VJware has given me the solution of excluding D:\ in the registry.

Thank you both for your advice. Cheers!

Colin_Weaver

One of the basic requirements (for safety reasons) is that if anything is needed on a volume then the whole volume is needed, whilst this might be invalid logic and possibly does need a review, it is how it works currently. 

Obviously you can use VJware's reg setting and then still select important files and folders from D:  as part of the SDR job