cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR with duplicated backup sets to another BE server

ReinerZufall
Level 2

Hello,

we're currently in the process of testing Backup Exec Server 2012, especially the SDR part.

What we would like to setup is this:

We have several remote sites. Systems are backed up locally in each site. We want to duplicate the backup sets to a BE server in a central site.

This works so far. The first full backup will be shipped "offline". Only incremental backups are duplicated over the WAN links. So far so good.

No in case of a server failure in a remote site we would like to be able to restore the system in the central site using SDR.

We have all the backup sets in the central site. When booting up a system with the SDR cdrom and connecting to the BE server in the central site I can choose the server from the remote site, but (unfortunatelly) the list of backup sets is totally empty.

So what are we doing wrong? 

Is it possible to achieve what we try to achieve?

Thanks for any help.

Kind Regards

ReinerZufall

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I guess, the .dr files are stored on the local server and not at the central server...this could explain why you are unable to view any backup sets...

Nasharat_Maner
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

It is possible to perform SDR restore in this situation.

Are all of the SDR jobs for that server were successful? If somehow SDR job failed/completed with Exception, you probably won't be able to see the backup sets details.

ReinerZufall
Level 2

Thanks for the replies.

Today I've tried to directly connect the BE server in the remote site from SDR. It also shows an empty list of backup sets. So I guess something is wrong with my backups.

But anyway - can somebody confirm that it is possible to do what I desribed in my first post?

We really would like to be able to recover a system in a different location.

Thanks
ReinerZufall

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi ReinerZufall

Yes this is possible. When you use SDR to recover a computer in CASO environment, you can submit the remote restore job to either of the following:

■ The central administration server.
■ The managed Backup Exec server that performed the original backup job.

Obviously in your situation the CAS.

Tip
You may already be doing this but make sure you have access to the Disaster Recovery Files that are created when a backup runs of a server.

Nasharat_Maner
Level 4
Employee

Hi ReinerZufall,

Here are few things we would like to confirm:

1. Was SDR icon ON when backup job was created?

2. Can you verify from BE server which has taken backup, if it has created/updated .DR file for the particular server (There would be one entry in Job log after System state backup, also you will get an alert)? Check ...SDR/Data location as well

3. Did you check firewall entries on BE server (it should be OFF)?

4. Are all of the SDR jobs for that server were successful? If somehow SDR job failed/completed with Exception, you probably won't be able to see the backup sets details.