cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP4 install requires SP2 WHEN SP3 is loaded. Why?

Alan_Foley
Level 4
Well I found that BE 9.1 4691 SP4 was released, my particular machine already has SP3 & HF54 installed. I downloaded SP4 and attempted to run it and recieve a message that SP2 needed to be loaded. If all of these SP's are cummulative why should this even matter, it should simply detect where it is at and load what is needed. This issue has come up with several of these patches why can it not be resolved once and for all.
41 REPLIES 41

Chris_Jimenez
Level 3
Here is the response I received from support when opening a ticket with them on this problem:
"There are no immediate plans to address this issue as of right now. I only have a workaround be deleting some registry key for the installer can continue. This only has affect a handful of customer and its due to the order/sequence of previous patches and hotfixes are installed.
I can only offer you a detailed workaround as of now to remove some registry entries that will allow SP4 to install.
"

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
There are certain registry modifications that can help in this scenario, nevertheless, please run database repair from the Beutility, reboot the server and then try the SP4 install again.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Alan_Foley
Level 4
Renuka,
I have rebooted the server, I have ran the BEUtility to attempt a database repair, it found no errors, I rebooted the server, I have attempted to reapply SP4, it still did not work. If the problem exists in the registry due to the manner the various MSI processes use the Veritas provided "bepatch.msp", one would think that the problem lies in the Veritas update method. I have not recieved any advise from a Veritas representative concerning "registry modifications", nor is the supplied process working.

You have my reply, NO ANSWER has been given, No the question has NOT been answered.

Justin_Guidroz
Level 3
Count me in as well. The SP4 install went fine on my test server with a clean installation of 9.1. However, trying to update my production server this afternoon, I received the mentioned error of needing SP2.

Already having the issue of my server still being vulnerable AFTER installing SP3, and now the supposed fix won't even install, I don't know how much I'm going to even consider looking into 10d or CPS products to replace this backup system.Message was edited by:
Justin Guidroz

Tom_Pluimer
Level 2
I'm having the same issues. Why is it that Veritas has not acknowledged the problem. We should not have to search a forum to find this kind of information out?

Tom_Pluimer
Level 2
Duplicate post.... please disregard

Chris_Jimenez
Level 3
Just so that it is on record with my response....NO!!! This issue is not fixed and should not be closed out. The suggested registry hack fixes are neither acceptable, nor successful. Evidence is showing that this is not a "specific problem only affecting a handful of customers" as Veritas Support told me when attempting to get support on this issue. This needs to be addressed by issuing a new release of SP4 that fixes whatever problems the current version has with examining the installed environment.
VS has told me that the problem is with Windows Installer logging the order of previous patches that may or may not have been installed, but this is BS. Veritas should not rely on another company's product for validating information concerning their product's installation.

Terry_Smith_2
Level 2
ME TOO!!!!! I had this with sp3 and be4691rsp1.exe not installed, reinstalled sp1, sp3 installed OK. Now again, sp4 complains be4691rsp1.exe not installed.

Time Veritas put their house in order and fix this issue pronto.

ACTANO_GmbH_ACT
Level 2
Same problem on 3 of 6 servers.

All patches prior SP3 aplied.

SP3 & SP4 says be4691rsp1.exe patch missing.

Henry

Stefan_Gillich
Level 3
One more "me too".

USing Veritus update this morning SP4 was displayed in the available update list. Installation failed with the well known error message about missing SP2 (SP3 installed).

I wanted to try this on a second server. The update didn't get displayed in the available update list. Checking on the first server, it isn't displayed in the available update list nor in the applied update list.

Does this mean Veritas/Symantec is now changing something???

SP4 is still available on the symatec web site (Software Updates & Downloads).

Travis_Rabe
Level 3
An djust another "Me Too".

The problem first occurred with Service Pack 3 and now with Service Pack 4.

This is highly annoying. I too am demoing other packages.

Alain_Gyger
Not applicable
What operating systems is 9.1 running on? Could this issue be OS specific?
I'm running Windows 2000 SP 4 with BeExec SP3.

Chris_Cosper
Level 3
Probably not OS specific exactly. Maybe Windows platform specific. We have the same issue and are running Windows Server 2003.

Chris

Simon_Says
Level 3
See my post at the link below

Here's how you can get SP3 or SP4 to install
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=55069&tstart=0

Alan_Foley
Level 4
While it is nice that the efforts of individuals in this forum have arrived at a workaround for this issue, it does not address the original complaint that the Service pack process is broken for Backup Exec. There is still no official document from this vendor that documents this as an official workaround, nor has the document 279747 been updated. What is Veritas officially going to do in regards to this problem?

Chris_Jimenez
Level 3
Finally!!....

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:21 AM
To: Jimenez, Chris T
Subject: Symantec Technical Support: Case ID 280-490-478

Sorry for the dearth of information but it took a bit for engineering to find the source of the issue and pursue a solution. They believe that they have found the source of the problem, that patches replacing HotFix 52 (HF52) were built without the code to indicate that they superseded HF52. Those patches included Service Pack 3 (SP3) and Service Pack 4 (SP4). A new service pack, SP4a, is currently in testing to confirm the resolution. It is identical to SP4 with the exception that it includes the code to indicate that it supersedes HF52. Once it is released from testing, I will get it to you promptly.

Alan_Foley
Level 4
Since there haven't been any recent updates, and no newer notices in the "Software Downloads/Updates" concerning the SP4 issue, can any Veritas employee provide news concerning a fix to this problem? It is quite unrealistic to expect the majority of users of the product to remove/clean load the application to apply a "service pack" in a "production environment".

c_p_2
Level 4
Check out Simon's thread titled, "Here's how you can get SP3 or SP4 to install" <>. I tried it, and it works. Note: To make the VERITAS Update icon disappear from the system tray, I had to import all the Installer values back into the Registry AND modify the two REG_MULTI_SZ settings to include the SP4 GUID .

Chris_Jimenez
Level 3
Veritas released SP4a on Nov 3, even though they haven't bothered to update these threads or notify me about it in order to resolve my open ticket. I have tested it on several of our problem servers that SP4 failed on, and all installed successfully, as did several new installs.

You can find it here: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280008.htm

Stefan_Gillich
Level 3
I tried the SP4a version. Installation works for me, too.

The only thing still looking stange is when using Veritas Update after installing SP4a. Available Updates list SP3 (date: August 09, 2005) and Hotfix 54 (date: August 13, 2005). Both has been installed prior to installing Sp4a. Anyway, I thought this updates should have benn included in SP4a.
Anybody else discovering the same thing?