cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Database Recurring Restore Job (Using Full & Defferential Backup)

singh_harneet
Level 2

Hi,

I wanted to setup an Restore Job which will restore Full Database Backup with NORECOVERY and the restore Differential Database Backup with RECOVERY on daily basis.

But I am not able to find the option to setup Restore Job as Recurring Job.

Anyone as any idea how to setup this job.

Thanks

Harneet Singh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Hi Harmeet,

Restore jobs cannot be set as recurring job (like backups) because backup jobs will have a fixed selection list which require to be backed up regularly.

Unlike the backup jobs, restores cannot have a fixed selection list.Selection list for restore jobs will be different for each day (i.e. a different date's backup set will be restored).

If there was an option to set restore jobs as recurring, then it would restore the same database backed up on the same day every time (or every day) the restore job is run. It will not restore a newer database unless someone changed the selection list of that restore job manually and selected a newer backup set (current dated backup) to be restored.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can't do this. A restore is a once-off job unfortunately!

Thanks!

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Hi Harmeet,

Restore jobs cannot be set as recurring job (like backups) because backup jobs will have a fixed selection list which require to be backed up regularly.

Unlike the backup jobs, restores cannot have a fixed selection list.Selection list for restore jobs will be different for each day (i.e. a different date's backup set will be restored).

If there was an option to set restore jobs as recurring, then it would restore the same database backed up on the same day every time (or every day) the restore job is run. It will not restore a newer database unless someone changed the selection list of that restore job manually and selected a newer backup set (current dated backup) to be restored.

singh_harneet
Level 2

Thanks for quick response.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This has been asked for form MANY years (since v7.0 at least

We (the customer base) have asked for the ability to restore a set of data from the last instance of a media set over and over, but nothing has come of it yet  If the data is not on that instance, just give us an appropriate error message and end the job.

Check the Ideas section of the Forums, and if you cannot find that request, add a new one.  If it gets enough "thumbs up" it MAY be included in a future release, tho I seriously doubt it at this point sad