cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL job fails with error message "You must install the required agents before you can backup the resources accordingly" eventhough we have the license for SQL

MKART
Level 3
Employee

Hi there,

We are trying to backup SQL DBs on local server but it fails. It was working for a couple of years without any issues.

Now the SQL  backup job is failing as it says I need to install the agent for SQL server which is integrated with BE 2012 license ( confirmed by the licensing team) and also agent for SQL server has been selected in the Options.

Have installed the license again but still the job fails.

Please advise if anyone has come through the same situation..:-)

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The RAWS agent allows you to backup a server like a file server or AD server. This would allow the media server to communicate with the remote server, and the backupos would then run.

You need an SQL agent installed in order to backup SQL, unless you're doing a nightly dump from the SQL mamagement studio and then backing up that flat-file. However, restores would become very long-winded from a Backup Exec perspective (restore flat-file back to SQL server, use SQL management studio to restore the DB). Using the agent is always recommended.

If you don't have the SQL agent installed you won't backup SQL directly at all...so the answer would be no, you can't.

You might have been running a 60-day trial for which there is no extension. You need to buy the agent license.

Re-adding the RAWS agent won't help you. However, when you buy the SQL agent it includes a RAWS agent, and if you don't need the current RAWS agent installed on the SQL server you probably won't have to renew it come renewal time.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

MKART
Level 3
Employee

Never come up with this issue. Was able to backup the SQL server for couple of years but was informed by SLT that with current license, installed on Media server, the SQL cannot be backed up. Hence need to purchase additional license for SQL server. 

Anyways SQL backup issue will be fixed by purchasing and installing the SQL agent.

Thanks for your help CraigV.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To confirm that your SQL Agent licence is installed correctly, click on the BE button then click on Installation and Licencing and Licencing Info.  Check that it says that the SQL Agent is licenced and installed.

MKART
Level 3
Employee

Hi PKH,

Thanks for the  reply. Sorry for the wrong information given.. BE version is 2010. when i check the license information it  shows only "remote agent for windows and agent for exchange server".

Do you really think that I will be able to backup SQL if I dont have SQL agent installed.. Because with the current configuration and license I was able to backup the SQL databases without any issues.

I am planning to remove and re add the licenses that I have.. Not sure this will help me. Just wanted to confirm if there is any impact in doing this. Would it require a reboot ?

Thanks.

CraigV

Hi,

The RAWS agent allows you to backup a server like a file server or AD server. This would allow the media server to communicate with the remote server, and the backupos would then run.

You need an SQL agent installed in order to backup SQL, unless you're doing a nightly dump from the SQL mamagement studio and then backing up that flat-file. However, restores would become very long-winded from a Backup Exec perspective (restore flat-file back to SQL server, use SQL management studio to restore the DB). Using the agent is always recommended.

If you don't have the SQL agent installed you won't backup SQL directly at all...so the answer would be no, you can't.

You might have been running a 60-day trial for which there is no extension. You need to buy the agent license.

Re-adding the RAWS agent won't help you. However, when you buy the SQL agent it includes a RAWS agent, and if you don't need the current RAWS agent installed on the SQL server you probably won't have to renew it come renewal time.

Thanks!

MKART
Level 3
Employee

It was not 60 days trial. I said, I was able to backup SQL (Local Server) server for a couple of years (not just 60 days) with just Backup Exec 2010 and Agent for Exchange Server licenses.

thanks.

CraigV

BE 2010 had separate licenses for Exchange, SQL, Oracle etc. BE 2012 introduced a single SKU to back them up.

EDIT: As such you shouldn't have been able to backup SQL using the Exchange agent. Uninstalling the agent (or even installing the SQL license again if it isn't showing up) should work.

Thanks!

MKART
Level 3
Employee

Thanks for your quick response, Craig.

"BE 2010 had separate licenses for Exchange, SQL, Oracle etc. BE 2012 introduced a single SKU to back them up"  >> Not sure then why I was informed  by symantec license team that the SQL agent is included in the Backup exec 2010 license that I have installed and also that I should be able to backup three computers with this license.

Alright, I will go ahead and re-add the BE license and reinitiate the backup job to see if it works.

This is mentioned in the below tech article as Resolution 1,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76547

Hope this will not affect my other jobs.

Thanks.

CraigV

Nope, you were incorrectly informed. The media server has never had an SQL agent bundled with it.

And I assume you're running pukka-Windows Server, not SBS, right?

Thanks!

MKART
Level 3
Employee

Never come up with this issue. Was able to backup the SQL server for couple of years but was informed by SLT that with current license, installed on Media server, the SQL cannot be backed up. Hence need to purchase additional license for SQL server. 

Anyways SQL backup issue will be fixed by purchasing and installing the SQL agent.

Thanks for your help CraigV.