cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL transaction log backups

LWRET
Level 2

Hi Folks,

I have backup exec 2012 R2 performing full backups of my SQL servers nightly. I want to add transaction log backups to the jobs. My question is:

- One of my larger SQL servers takes approximately 14 hours to perform the full backup. I want the transacation log (incremental) backup to run every 4 hours throughout the day. What will happen when the full is running and the next transaction log backup is scheduled to fire? I don't see a way for me to tell the incremental to only run between certain hours (which would be ideal)

i appreciate your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Hi LWRET,

In addition to pkh,

The Full will supersede the incremental transaction log backup.  The Incremental transaction log job will be rescheduled to run at its next reoccurance .

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-run-job-certain-hourly-intervals-between-certain-hours-day

lmosla
Level 6

Hi LWRET,

In addition to pkh,

The Full will supersede the incremental transaction log backup.  The Incremental transaction log job will be rescheduled to run at its next reoccurance .

LWRET
Level 2

Thanks to both of you. I think im just going to let the supercede happen, unless there is a reason not to?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think you got the wrong idea about superceding.  It only applies when both jobs are scheduled to start at exactly the same time.  At other times, both jobs will  run and I am not sure what will happen when you run a log backup while the full backup is running.

I am afraid superceding is not your solution. Your only option is to restrict your log backups to certain hours of the day.

lmosla
Level 6

I just tested this by Running a full SQL backup Job and scheduling a Incremental Log Backup to start a few minutes later. When the Incremental started it immediatly went into the status of Superseded.

It seems like my post is correct but I will test this again to make sure.