cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled job never runs

James_Robb
Level 3
I am running V9.1 rev 4691 on Windows 2000 SP4 using SQL 2000 SP3, all on the same machine. This config has been running fine for at least a year. About 2 weeks ago the scheduled nightly backup job quit running. If I reboot the server it will run OK for 2 or 3 days and then quit. There is no apparent pattern. It just hangs in the scheduled state. Ther are no alerts pending. The tape is inserted as usual. It never goes into the out-of-time-window state. It just stays in the scheduled state. If I stop & restart the BUExec services, it will then switch to the out-of-time-window state. I notice in looking at the alert history, that there may be a problem with BEDB maintenance. Maintenance is scheduled every day at 4AM. On the days when the job fails to run, there is no alert message showing the results of maintenance. The alert message showing that maintenance has started is there, but the corresponding status message is not. In my case, maintenance normally takes about 45 seconds. I can look in the data directory and see that the backup of bedb is being made. I can also look in the SQL log files and see the same thing. But the alert message showing the results of maintenance is missing. Maintenance may not have anything to do with this issue, but I thought it was odd that the alert message was missing. Any ideas on what to do?
5 REPLIES 5

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Recreate all the jobs and verify.
Thanks

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

James_Robb
Level 3
I disabled the nightly database maintenance, and the scheduled job has run 2 days in a row. I won't know for sure if this is the fix for several more days. I'll keep you posted.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Awaiting update from you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

James_Robb
Level 3
The job has now run 5 days in a row. I am beginning to get some confidence in my supposition that the problem is being caused by database maintenance. If that is the case, where do I go from here? How do I troubleshoot the apparent fact that the BEDB database is getting locked up during maintenance? Another curious fact is that the BEDB ldf file keeps getting larger, but the mdf file does not. I am not a SQL expert by any means, but for every other SQL database I have ever seen, the ldf file eventually gets posted to the mdf file, and it's the mdf file which keeps getting larger.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Perform the repair database of Backup exec.

How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.