cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Agent out of date

Linas
Level 6

I started seeing LiveUpdate Information

About the agent for windows on at least one server does not have the most recent updates?
To Install the most recent updates, on the Backup and restore tab, right click the remote computer that is out of date, and then select Update.

1. There is no indication on what server agent is out of date
2. After right clicking on each server on some I can see Update is grayed out and on some its clickable
3. Does this mean they are out of date and need to be updated?
4. What happen if I update the server will I have to reboot?
5. The server is Windows 2003 with exchange 2003 running on a cluster serves with 2 nodes
6. It seem each node might need the upgrade and the cluster seems to need
7. I am assuming after I update the active node the cluster will be up-to-date
8. Should I manually run LiveUpdate on the backup Exec server monthly and after an update I should update the clients?

18 REPLIES 18

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1. There is no indication on what server agent is out of date

If a remote server has an older version of remote agent than BE will show an exception in the job log.

4. What happen if I update the server will I have to reboot?

If the agent is installed with AOFO than a reboot is required. (Symantec recommends a reboot after 

update)

6. It seem each node might need the upgrade and the cluster seems to need

7. I am assuming after I update the active node the cluster will be up-to-date

You need to update each node.

8. Should I manually run LiveUpdate on the backup Exec server monthly and after an update I should update the clients?

Remote agent needs to be updated after installing updates on the media server.

Linas
Level 6

For point 1 not sure what you mean by Job Log

There is a job history I got the alert on the 18

Job history jobs ran 17 and 19 but nothing on the 18?

Point 4 what is AOFO?

Is it enabled for an Exchange backup?

Point 7 I ran LiveUpdate 2 weeks ago and this is the first time I got the message about agent out of date

Confused what triggered the agent out of date

Does LiveUpdate run automatically?

Linas
Level 6

I did help and support and the help showed Job log ware would the agent out of date be indicated?

Do I have to ready every line of every job to try and find info on agent status?

There is nothing on the 18th when I got in notice?

AmolB

AOFO : Advance open file option, it allows to backup open files (flat files only)

Do not enable AOFO for any Exchange backups.

Live update needs to be run manually. As a best practice update remote agent whenever you install

any hotfix or service pack by running live update.

Linas
Level 6

I am still not seeing any indication on the Agent out of date
How can I tell if a server is out of date you told me to look in Job log
There are no entries on the 18th when I got the message and looking at the log I don't see any indication about the agent
I ran update 2 weeks ago why did I get the message now?
Shouldn't I get this message every time a backup runs with an out of date agent?
This would also help narrow down the server with the out of date agent

AmolB

Media server and Remote agent on the remote server should be at the same version.

When you run live update media server gets updated automatically but you need to manually

update the remote agent on the remote server. Remote agent becomes out of date if you don't

install updates for the agent.

Linas
Level 6

How to figure out what server has the out of date agent?

AmolB

Compare the version of BEremote.exe on the remote server with the media server.

Linas
Level 6

Ok I checked both nodes on the exchange server and another server and the media server and they all have the same version
Agent for windows 14.0 Rev 1798.0

what else can i check?

Linas
Level 6

Sorry I thought you meant the agent how to check BEremote.exe?
Should I search the hard drive for the executable BEremote.exe and check its version?

Linas
Level 6

I did a search on my server and it seems beremote.exe and the agent is the same version 14.0.1798.0
It has a modified date of 01/23/2012
This is well past the install date of 10/05/2012

not sure what else to check?

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Linus if you clik the BackupExec Pearl in the top left corner of the console, then click on installation and licensing and install agents and backup exec servers on other servers BE should report to you which machines are in need of an update. you should then be able to follow the prompts to update the machine/s in question 

Linas
Level 6

No did not show any information

I had to pick the computers to populate the list and now its installing

I hope to god nothing reboots these are enterprise servers running my company if they go down in the middle or the day heads will roll

Linas
Level 6

In stall finished on the exchange servers “The install completed successfully but requires a reboot before the installation process is complete.”

I don’t know why I am not using AOFO and it’s not supposed to be enabled for exchange?

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Glad to hear that you were able to successfully identify the machines that required updates. Please post the results of the backup job once youre able to reboot the servers

Linas
Level 6

I don’t know what you mean identify machines that required update all tests I did tell me they were all up-to-date what I did was push the client and now the server that cannot get rebooted need's to?

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You stated that you could not reboot the server in the middle of the day. Is there a time after working hours that would allow for this server to be rebooted? 

mcornejo_1
Not applicable

I realize this is an old post, however, I found the easiest way to see the BE agent version. From the Backup and Restore tab make sure you are viewing all servers. Right click on any column and choose Backup Exec Version to add a new column. This column will tell you the version as well as whether or not an update is available. (Attachment)