cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server freezing during backups

Thomas_Walsh_2
Level 2
One of our Windows 2000 servers is freezing whenever we try to do a data backup on it. It gets anywhere from 100 megs to 6 gigs into the backup, and then the server that is being backed up freezes up and loses all output to the monitor, which can only be fixed by turning the computer off and back on. The backup log reports the problem as "lost network connection", but this is after it freezes for some time. What exactly is the problem?
10 REPLIES 10

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi ,

-Which files are getting backedup?
-Is any Database running on this server?
-Are you using AOFO Option while backup?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query.

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Thomas_Walsh_2
Level 2
The server being backed up is our file server. There is no database on the server (I'm assuming you mean SQL or Access database). The files are just shared folders containing normal files (word docs, jpegs, visio files, etc). I don't know what you mean by AOFO, so I'm going to assume I am not using it.

Thomas_Walsh_2
Level 2
Okay, I had it fixed for a few days by playing around with the folders. Now, even the System State backup is freezing (it wasn't before), and it's doing so almost immediately. I'm not using AOFO.

Thomas_Walsh_2
Level 2
I solved my problem.

It seems Backup Exec and Panda Antivirus (and possibly other antivirus services) don't get along very well. Turning off the Antivirus Service allows backups to continue as normal.

However, this is a workaround, not a solution. Turning off my antivirus is not something I enjoy doing.

james_draughn
Not applicable
We are experiencing the same issue on our 2003 servers and 2003 storage servers. We backup about 40 servers in a campus network, we are having 1 to 3 servers freeze over the weekends up on full backups and 1 on average freeze up on nightly differentials. For the most part I feel we have narrowed this down to the existence of AOFO on the servers. We have been de-installing the agents (not what we wanted to do) and reloading them without advanced file open. It seems these servers have not locked up since. This past Sunday we had 4 systems down one SLQ server, one applications server, one Windows Storage Server and a web server. I do not think this is related to SQL etc... We reloaded the agents without AOFO and they all backed-up fine. It seems to just be an issue with Advance File Open.
Our backups are done on 2 dual processor xeon servers one with a Dell 136T Tape Library with 5 LTO-2 drives and the other connect to an EMC Clariion CX500. Servers serviced by either server whether destined to disk or tape are having the same issue.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Have you installed the Backup exec in it's own msde instance or in an existing msde instance?

Are there any other applications which are also using Backup Exec's msde instance?If , yes , please note that it is not recommended.

Verify the event logs for related errormessage.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tony_Howarth
Level 3
We ar having the same problem.

Our file server with Domino as well (with Trend AV) has started to freeze when the backup starts.

During this week we remove 10d re installed windows SP1 and all the patches then reinstalled BE 10d still died.

Downloaded BE service packs inc 10 worked all day yesterday during trials but when it came to the proper backup at night once again the server died.

I will remove the AV on Sunday and try it again just in case it still dies

Tony_Howarth
Level 3
Tried backup with virus guard disabled and AFO set to none today.
The server gradually died after 137Mb.

Tony_Howarth
Level 3
Having read http://support.veritas.com/docs/276343 this may have some relevance.

All the tests I did on Friday I just did C: & D: and did not select Shadow copy and they all worked but the night one does everything and it failed!

I have just set it going again as per the tests on Friday and it's working fine.

I have added .VSP to the Virus guard exclude list.

I have for tonight change the run to omit shadow copy to see if the normal night run then is sucessfull.

Then I will test the other combinations to make it fail if possible.

Tony_Howarth
Level 3
Night time backup was a success with "Shadow Copy Components" omitted.

Then did an extra backup with just c: and Shadow Copy Components and froze after completing C: whilst doing the Shadow Copy Components.

I've checked and cannot find any .VSP files on the system.

The help files only mention Shadow Copy relative to W2K server.

How important is Shadow Copy Components?

How do we back them up without stalling the system?

Is it related to Domino 7 beacuse it's only become a hard problem after the upgrade to 7 from 6.5