Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server regularly hangs an hour after backup starts--frustrated

Matt_Jurcich
Level 3
Partner
Hi all,

Have a really weird issue with a Windows 2000 SBS server. A few nights a week, the server will hang, no blue screen, just a blank, black screen and has to be powered off and on again. The backup is scheduled to start at 12:15am and the server will hang at about 1:40am from event viewer logs. Exchange is not installed on the server.

I have Windows 2000 SP4 installed and BE 10.0 for SBS rev 5520 which includes SP2. The server itself is a SuperMicro box and has a HighPoint SATA RAID controller for disk, and a Symbios 8953U PCI SCSI Adapter (53C895A) connected to a Sony SDX-450V AIt tape drive. The tape drive was replaced under warranty recently, but did not help the problem. I'm not sure what the motherboard is yet, but the power supply has been replaced and the RAM. The computer has a APC Smart-UPS 1000 that is less then a year old plugged in.

We've uninstalled and reinstalled BE. Ran without any SP, with SP1 and with SP2. We've defragged the server volumes as well as changed the order that the volumes are backed up. We've purchased new tapes. Sometimes we erase the tape the night before and that helps, sometimes it doesn't.

We are at wits end with this one--considering erasing and reinstalling the entire server. Please any suggestions! I think we are out of support, but are also considering calling them.

If you need any more info or have any suggestion, please post! I will try to check the forum regularly.

Thanks.

-m
5 REPLIES 5

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Do you receive any events in the event logs?

-- Do you have Veritas Tape drivers installed?

Thank You,

Shweta

Matt_Jurcich
Level 3
Partner
Hi!

In the Event Viewer, in System, the last entriy before the server hangs in DHCPServer's nightly database clean up at 00:01. In Application, two MSSQL$BKUPEXEC messages, one at 00:00 saying the instance of SQL server has been using a process id of 1288 since 11/28/2006, and the other one at 00:10 says "8128: Using xplog70.dll version 2000.80.760 to execute entended stored procedure xp_msver". Finally the last event before the hang is 00:49 and says Security policy in the Group policy objects are applied successfully.

The server hung last night at 01:33. System log gives the typical Windows "The previous system shutdown at 01:33:41am on 11/29/2006 was unexpected" this morning when the server was power cycled.

Veritas tape drivers are installed.

From Device Manager:

SONY SDX-450V SCSI Sequential Device
Driver Provider: VERITAS Software Inc.
Driver Date: 11/11/2004
Driver Version: 5.1

Veritas update says our installation is current, except for some hotfixes which didn't seem to apply to us.

Open to suggestions!! Thanks.

-m

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We suggest you to upgarde to BE v10.1 rev 5629.

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279332.htm

Regards,

Matt_Jurcich
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

We tried to install 10.1 this afternoon. The installation goes through normally, but at the end it says "Rolling back settings" and says the installation failed.

I looked in the installation log but can't make any sense of it. Any suggestions? I could post the log if that would help.

Thanks.

-m

Matt_Jurcich
Level 3
Partner
Can't seem to attach a file to a post here. I can e-mail it if you need it. Thanks.

-m