cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ServerFree can't find Datamover

Ricky_Evans
Level 3
I've just upgraded our backup system to Backup Exec10, primarily to use the ServerFree option for direct LUN-to-Autoloader data transfer in our SAN. I confirmed with our supplier beforehand that yes, apparently our Dell/EMC SAN definately does support datamover operations as discussed in the ServerFree Whitepaper.

Running the first test, the job log reports "ServerFree backup verification failed. A data mover cannot be detected in the hardware. Performing the backup from the snapped volume."

I'm going to go back to Dell and try to get some more evidence that the datamover feature definately exists, but thought I should attack this from both sides. So:

1. Assuming the datamover does exist, could anything be preventing BE from been able to communicate with it?

2. Is there anyway I can prove the datamover definately does/does not exist?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers

Ricky
4 REPLIES 4

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please note that ServerFree backup operations on remote resources outside the SAN are not supported. ServerFree backups can only be run on the media server.

The actual process of moving data from the fibre channel disk array to the target backup device is done by hardware which acts as a data mover, and is typically found in a Fibre-to-SCSI bridge or router. However, the data mover could actually reside in any hardware component in the SAN; its actual location is determined by the SAN hardware manufacturer.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ricky_Evans
Level 3
Thanks Shilpa, I'm aware that ServerFree is for SAN resources only.

We have the one backup server, attached to our Fibre over SCSI EMC router/switch (same as our other servers with SAN LUN's attached to them) that came with our SAN. I created a backup job that was only backing up data on the SAN LUN excluding anything unsupported such as Exchange, and that was when I was presented with the error as shown in my original post.

Ricky_Evans
Level 3
Any more ideas Shilpa/Symantec?

I have spoken to Dell once again, who assure me that the SNC bridge within our SAN architecture has the ability to perform the datamover function. However, they also said that it is up to the software, in this case BackupExec, to tell the SNC bridge to perform that function.

Dell also suggested that BE may require some Fibre/SCSI ports to have specific settings etc for this to work?

A prompt response would be appreciated - this has been dragging on for weeks and I don't seem to be getting much support from anyone.

Regards

Ricky

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

We would kindly request you to refer the administrators Guide page number 981 for more details:

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279401

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.