cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D Default Settings

Rick_Kare
Level 3
Is there any way set the default of all new B2D folders created to have a 1 GB "disk reserve" setting and 4GB default size.

Additionally is it possible to "duplicate" the set of B2D folders from our central server to a media server for complete failover?
14 REPLIES 14

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

You will have to manually configure these settings for a B2D. By default it has 0 gb disk reserve and 1 gb maximum size. You can change the settings from the B2D properties tab.

Are you referring to creating a duplicate job? Refer to the steps below:

How to configure duplicate jobs in Backup Exec 9.x / 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Rick_Kare
Level 3
I thought 10D was supposed to be designed for disk...Message was edited by:
Rick Kare

Rick_Kare
Level 3
I thought 10D was supposed to be designed for disk...

I would like to replicate our complete tape cycle with location for each server individually. This will mean aprox 200+ folders.

No default settings... There must be a registry setting that can be added.

1 GB and Zero are not good settings.

As far as the duplicate job, no I am not planning that. I have a duplicate backup server (media server) with that backs up a different set of servers, however, with the central server option I need to create the device pools. Ideally, they have the same structure for fail over.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

"I thought 10D was supposed to be designed for disk..." - You are referring to a second product which is available from 10d onwards - The Continuous Proection Server- which enables snapshots backups on disks.

Backup Exec and Continuous Proection Server are two different paid products.

Backup Exec 10d (10.1) for Windows Servers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278550

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rick_Kare
Level 3
I am not referring to Continuous Protection Server. I am referring to BACKUP to DISK

We have 10D we are trying to switch to B2D then D2T not CPS (yet).

I just need to know if there are any registry setting that can be added to set the default values for these backup to disk folders..

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

There is no Registry setting that can be added to set the default values for the backup to disk folder.

You will have to manually configure these settings for a B2D.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Hi Rick

Could you just clarify something in your earlier post:
" ... would like to replicate our complete tape cycle with location for each server individually. This will mean aprox 200+ folders."

If you have 200+ folders, does that mean you have 200+ servers you are backup up?

Thanks

Rick_Kare
Level 3
Hi Robert,

The requirement at this site is one month of backups available for 20 servers (to the day) With daily diffs / weekly fulls, only the fulls going to tape. Weekly after that.
Each server has its own folder for each of the 5 week cycle.
We have the Central Server Option, and a couple of media servers. Ideally, the folder structure is the same on all media servers so that jobs defined for each can fail over to the next in the "pool" should it come to that. So it is more like 200 folders on each server. It would be nice if the folder structure had an option to "replicate to media servers".

If there is another way you could suggest, it would be appreciated.

Rick

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Hi Rick

"Each server has its own folder for each of the 5 week cycle."

There's no right or wrong way to approach backup. Each site/organisation has its own peculiar needs.

Maybe think about 2 folders per server - one for diffs, one for fulls. Each B2D folder can have an overwrite protection of 28/30/31 days - "wot-ever" (if you watch "Little Britain"!) - so you keep all the backups for the required period.

For myself, I long ago abandoned the idea of a monthly cycle - simply because the overwrite of varying lengths for different months gets too complicated or means manual intervention. My own backups break the year into a cycle of 13 x 4 weeks. For special applications that are financial, month-end based, I do separate backup.

I have only one media server and have not worked with Central Server option. Does CSO give you the ability to put the B2D files on a share on your network, accessible by all media servers?

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Rick,

Have you configured these settings for a B2D?

Please update us on the same.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Rick_Kare
Level 3
Hi Robert,

I will try your suggestion on the next media server. Being new with the Backup to Disk, I am not sure about overwrite protection with regards to folders. Based on what you are saying, the backup creates a new file in the folder till the overwrite period is complete? Then it overwrites the 28/30/31 day old jobs?

As far as CSO, We are just beginning down this road so I do not know for certain. I know that you can create a B2D folder using an UNC, so I imagine you could do that. We have a array of drives hanging off each media server, we create the B2D folders then define the other server's folder as part of the backup pool. Should the primary folder become unavailable.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Rick,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Rick - sorry, I might have skipped over a few 'details'!

If I, for example, create a B2D device/folder to hold 'daily' backups (as an example, for 1 week), then I would also create a corresponding media set, where the overwrite protection was 6 days. Then I would target the 'daily' job to that B2D "device" and the corresponding media set.

Maybe it helps if you think of B2D folders as logical 'tape drives', and the *.bkf files in that folder are logical 'tapes', which are always on-line. So, just like physical tapes, the append/overwrite periods are governed by a media set.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Have the suggestions helped you to resolve your issue ?

Regards, Ashutosh NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.