cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set tape/slot priority

Mike_W_
Level 3
I am running BE 12.5 with an 1/8 LTO4 HP autoloader.

I run these at remote sites around the country and thus have to rely on a non technical person to change tapes on a daily basis. The backup only uses about 1-2 tapes per evening. What I would like to do is set BE to backup to slots 1-4 first. This way I can put blank tapes in slots 5-8 and if the users are the remote sites ever forget to remove tapes, it will backup to slots 1-4 initially and ONLY use slots 5-8 if there is no room on 1-4.

I don't want it backing up to the oldest tape.

Any ideas on this?

Mike
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Under Devices in Backup Exec, right-click your device and choose Partition. You will be able to break up your autoloader as you want (Partition 1 - Slots 1 -->4; Partition 2 - Slots 5 --> 8). Once done, open up your backup job, and redirect your jobs to the corresponding slots.
Your retention period will ensure that your oldest tape isn't overwritten until your retention time is reached, upon which is becomes scratch again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Under Devices in Backup Exec, right-click your device and choose Partition. You will be able to break up your autoloader as you want (Partition 1 - Slots 1 -->4; Partition 2 - Slots 5 --> 8). Once done, open up your backup job, and redirect your jobs to the corresponding slots.
Your retention period will ensure that your oldest tape isn't overwritten until your retention time is reached, upon which is becomes scratch again.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As Craig says, create two partitions

if you want to use slots 5-8 ONLY if the first four are stjll overwrite protected, but other wise rotate through 1-4, try creating a new device pool containing those two partitions,  with a higher priority for the partition containing the first four slots

Mike_W_
Level 3
This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you both.

One follow up question. With the drive partitioned, It shows slots 1-4 and 5-8 as different device pools, but when I try to change priority on one, it changes it on the other as well. I even created a new device pool and attempted to add either partition, couldn't figure it out. But that new device pool had it's priority linked to the others as well.

How do I set a higher priority on one?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hmm

I've never actually tried this, but it should work

Doesn't look like you've done anything wrong. 

You may be down to opening an incident with Symantec  :(

Mike_W_
Level 3
Well it appears I'll have to ask Symantec. I'll ask the tech on the next call, I already have an open case with them anyways on a different topic. Ironic.