cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up XP Workstation to Manage Backup of Windows Server

maccollins
Level 2
I am trying to setup Backup Exec 10d on an XP workstation.  A few years ago, we purchased the Backup Exec 10d and had it running on the server.  Recently, we had our Medical Management software support tell us that their software is conflicting with the Backup Exec 10d.  I have installed the backup exec on an XP Pro workstation, so that I can backup the server through the remote agent without having to run it locally.  I am not backing up the local machine at all, and I have no other servers to backup. 

However, as you might expect, I cannot select the server when creating a backup job; because I do not have a RAWS license key installed.  Is there no way to do this even though I am not backup up more than one server, and the PC I'm installing the software on is not a server?
1 REPLY 1

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You will need to install remote agent software on the server, there is no other alternative really. Remote Agent software is a small piece of software that gets installed on remote machines and helps Backup Exec in performing backups. So, that would be necessary and also, a remote agent license would be required, now that you are doing remote backups. You can install the license key on the Windows XP machine and then push install remote agent to the target server.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks