cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a Differntial backup

Valcon
Level 3

i have setup the following schedule

Monday Full - Backup files Using Archive Bit (reset Archive Bit)

Tue Differential - Back Up changed files since last full - Using archive bit( does not reset archive bit)

Wed Differential - Back Up changed files since last full - Using archive bit( does not reset archive bit)

Thur Differential - Back Up changed files since last full - Using archive bit( does not reset archive bit)

Frid Differential - Back Up changed files since last full - Using archive bit( does not reset archive bit)

Monthly Full - Backup files Using Archive Bit (reset Archive Bit)

I have the option

When this job begins - Overwrite Media

When i go to the restore tab and try to do a restore i dont see the monday date just the differential date of tuesday day.

what am i doing wrong?

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do your jobs use the same media set?

Are all your jobs Overwrite?

What is the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set(s) involved?

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-29-2008 07:59 AM

Valcon
Level 3

@ken Putnam wrote:

Do your jobs use the same media set? Yes

Are all your jobs Overwrite? Yes

What is the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set(s) involved? Infinite - Allow Append

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-29-2008 07:59 AM

Also, i have each day a seperate Job. i dont know if that makes a difference.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What is the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set(s) involved? Infinite - Allow Append

I was asking about overwrite, not append

What it sounds like, is that the first DIFF is overwriting the FULL.  Only way to keep this from happening is to set the OPP for the FULL media set to what ever works for your site/setup

If you reuse the Fulls ever month, then make the OPP for the full media set 27 days etc

Valcon
Level 3

i am attaching pictures. Please let me know if you notice something set wrong.

Job List 

Media Set 

Full Backup

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

First thing I see is that Overwrite Protection Period is "None"  this means that ANY Overwrite job can grab that tape and overwrite it

From Tools\Options\Media Management, make sure that Partial or Full is selected, not NONE, then change the OPP to whatever works for your environment

If you want to keep your FULLs for a month, then make the OPP 27 days, etc