cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent install of Service pack 1 (sp1)

Level 2
I am trying to do a silent install of SP1 for backup exec 9.0 rev 4454 an it fails every time.

the command I am using I pulled from:
How to install a Backup Exec Hotfix or Service Pack without user intervention. (Silent Installation)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274398.htm

I also tacked /l*v "c:\temp\sp1.log" onto the end to enable verbose logging.

here is part of that log that I can see that has an error:
Starting custom action DetectExistingData
Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information.
Error the following data files were found in data directory:
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\msdbdata.mdf
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\msdblog.ldf
Setup has detected existing data/log files. Please make sure to delete/move the files before re-running setup
Ending custom action DetectExistingData
Action ended 13:21:29: DetectExistingData.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B. Return value 3.

If there is any one out there that has had any success please let me know that a silent install is possible.

Thanks,
Mike
5 REPLIES 5

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
In order to troubleshoot the problem, kindly refer the following steps:- Please carry out the following steps:- Go to C:\Winnt folder and rename bkupinst.log to bkupinst.old, then please carry out the steps mentioned in the technote link.

Title:- Installation of VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.0 for Windows Servers fails with the following entry in the bkupinst.log: "Setup has detected existing data/log files. Please make sure to delete/move the files before re-running setup."

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258973.htm

We hope this helps.

Incase if the problem persists, please refer the following technote and let us know the outcome of Bkupinst.log file.

Bkupinst.log and MSDE_BKUPEXEC.log file located in Windows folder.

How to locate the logs generated during the installation of VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x /10.x http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268722.htm

Level 2
This refers to new installs of Veritas. I am not doing a new install I am applying SP1 to an existing install. The steps mentioned in the technote say to delete the Veritas Database which I do not want to do since it will remove all my backup jobs and configuration.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Thank you for the response. In this case, if not delete the MSSQL$BkupExec folder, you can follow the below mentioned steps which is mentioned in the doc. no. 258973

Rename all files in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data folder to a *.OLD extension & then continue with the installation of Service Pack 1.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two
business days, this post would be marked "assumed
answered" and would be moved to the "answered
threads" pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.