cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple file copying for archive using BE2010?

stevepappa
Level 2

I have BE2010.  I need to just copy folders and files as is to an archiving location.  I do not need this destination to be set up to restore.  I do not need the target to be in the BE format.  The target need to be in the matching folder structure of the source.

Can a BE job be configured to just copy files from one location to another location?

4 REPLIES 4

stevepappa
Level 2

As a follow up,  When I attempt to copy the target gets a single .BKF rather that the folder structure/files that the source has

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The target need to be in the matching folder structure of the source.Can a BE job be configured to just copy files from one location to another location?

Not possible, you will have a backup set created (in bkf format) with all the backup selections in the target location. You can use BE (or any other backup software) to backup data but not to copy, i.e you will get the original structure of files and folders only upon restore.

Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option works in the way you expected. But it has it's own limitations like the Operating Systems you can install DLO agent on. Give a read about DLO in the admin guide.

Regards....

stevepappa
Level 2

Thanks for the information.  As an additional follow up, I guess I could back-up to a BKF and then have a restore job that restored to a different target location.  This would put the folder structure and files at the target location.  But a two step process and double potential points of failure.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, backup followed by a restore to alternate location would keep the folder structure intact in target location as you required. But this comes with the disadvantages that you already mentioned...

Regards....

Just out of curiosity: Why you want to use BE to copy data to some other location and why you want to use archival software from there to archive? Any specific reason?